Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Terminated Employee Group question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please tell me how you woudl handle the following:

1.When the employee is terminated

2.When the employee goes on a long vacation

3.When an employee Resigns

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are a few posts covering the termination/leavers process so I suggest you have a browse/use the search for points 1 & 3.

For point 2 it's a bit more subjective. Most places I have been to usually treat the ID like any other i.e. leave it until it has remained unused for x days. When that happens then following the leavers process and locking ID/removing roles/setting expiry date etc.

You could easily lock the ID and set to a user group like HOLIDAY if you so wished if you have a large number of these users.

0 Kudos

Alex,

thanks again.!

Now my interest is most on the point two due to the cost. As SAP is paid on # of active users. Currently its set to 90 days which in my opinion is too large. In the installations you visited what was the typical period and was their any special considerations ?

I know that the installation woudl vary the time period but I need to hear some ' best practices too!

thanks alex

0 Kudos

Hi George,

90 days is typical for the majority of places I have worked at/audited.

Some have 60 and from memory, some have a 45 days policies. I don't think you will be surprised that special considerations usually only apply to very senior management who like the ability to log on every now and then!

Personally I find that 60 days is a reasonable compromise covering typical ranges of users e.g. functional, reporting, T&E, occasional purchasing via SRM for example. If you make the period too short then you get to a situation where you create extra admin overhead & inconvenience the users for a negligible reduction in risk. If you can automate parts of the process then it makes it easier i.e. set up a job that automatically locks users after x days & sends an email to their manager to say that the user has been locked due to inactivity & can they confirm that the user is still required etc. If no response after a certain period then the user will enter into the termination process. There are lots of ways of doing it, the important thing is that you have a consistent, manageable & auditable process that is supported by (the easiest bit) a sound technical solution.

I'm sure Julius & others will be along soon to give some other good advice!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alex,

I tried searching in the forum, but cannot be identified.

If I create a group say "termainted" what are the autorizations or profile do I create ? Just with no autorization ?

Also the user will already have few or many other authorizations which will still need to be used.

0 Kudos

ok, very quick way to cover terminating a user

1. lock User Master

2. set the valid date to the day you lock the user

3. assign a user group to identify a user who has left e.g. LEAVER, TERMINATED

4. delete the roles from the user (you can see what they had by the user change docs). If they don't use SAP any more then they don't need any access!

I do not like deleting the user, there was a recent post by Auke with some really useful info in it around this subject.

0 Kudos

Alex

I will summaries the other answer, main points:

1. By law in most countries you need to be able to prove who owned a userid as financial laws state that you have to show financial data when requested (sometimes until 7 years after the TRX has been executed). Recently a number of companies have been fined who could not produce all requested data. In this case it was mostly about E-mail data as contracts in those companies were done via e-mail. But this can (and will) be extended to SAP data. In this one has to remember that almost all transactions in SAP have financial consequences thus are part of the data the laws talk about. I would not want to be the person who deleted data that the company is fined for deleting a couple of years later.

2. Next argument some processes in PM/PS cannot be followed on when the uid of the person who started the process has been deleted from the system.

So best practice: Never delete a UID from a system, but remove all roles, lock it and assign it to a special user group (this is also needed to avoid having to pay License cost for these users)

0 Kudos

Small addition, when you use HR for user maintenance (via program RHPROFL0) that program will also NOT delete UID’s , but only take away the roles for users that have left the company.

0 Kudos

Persons that go on vacation: one can use the temporary replacement option in SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The good practice for the terminated or resigned user is :

1. Never delete the user id from the system.

2. lock the user.

3. Assign the user group to the EXPIRED [ as created for the resigned ].

4. set the validity date of the user to the previous days/ the day the user is locked.

<b>Deletion of user id</b> depends upon the company policies & procedures set. And the policy mostly does not recommend to delete any user id.

The good practice for user on Leave :

1. Lock the user id.

2. change the user group to 'XYZ' as subjected to the employee on vacation.

3. change the validity of the roles to the date the user started his vacation.

Once the user is back with his request for the access, renew all the accesses.

This way, one can maintain the user information to improve the performance and to maintain the consistancy and integration required for the system.

This results in the best way of practice during the Audit also.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once you try with the solution, giving the points to the particular id is the best practice to establish a good practice.