cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to explode a multi-level BOM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've created a BOM in CS01 that the two sons are BOMs themselves. I gave the father a multi-level explosion item category.

When I give the sons the item category that they need in order to explode, I get the following message when creating a Sales Order:

"You have tried to carry out a structure explosion within an exploded structure, but this is not possible.

For example, the system finds one component and one item category within an exploded BOM that leads to another BOM explosion in document processing. This is not possible because you can only explode a multi- level BOM and the explosion can only start with a document item that has not been generated by the previous explosion.

Similar problems occur when combining BoM explosion and product selection."

When I change the item category of the sons to a non-explode item category, I don't get an error message, but the sons don't explode.

Anybody knows how to make the multi-level BOM explode to all its depth?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey - browsing around the forums, saw this post. Just wanted to weigh in, who are you exploding the BOM for? Is there a chance that you don't actually need to be explode the multi-level BOM, and that it would be easier to flatten it? Just in case its relevant, wanted to share a recent article on some times when that's appropriate.

http://blog.arenasolutions.com/multi-level-bom/

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Take the Example of Computer.

We all know, Computer is the combination of " Monitor, CPU , Keyboard, Mouse"

Here CPU consists, Hard disk,motherboards ,Processor, Ram etc..,

Computer is the Main item

Monitor,CPU,keyboard, Mouse are all sub items for Main item.

Sub item CPU again contains Items.

This kind of material is known as Multi BOM,

Simply, BOM with in the BOM is Multi BOM.

If you want configuration this into SAP,

First you need to create in MM01 Computer as Main Item-

(item category group- ERLA, if you want to give price on material Level).

Create in MM01, Monitor,CPU,keyboard,Mouse,Hard disk,motherboards,Processor,Ram

as sub items

( Item cat group- NORM,but for CPU Item cat group- ERLA)

Now Create BOM, CS01- Computer Include Monitor,CPU,keyboard,Mouse as sub items,

again create BOM,CS01- CPU include Mouse,Hard disk,motherboards,Processor,Ram as sub items for CPU mainitem.

In Configuration of Item Category VOV7 Change the Structure scope from "A - explode single level BOM" to "B - Explode Multi Level BOM" for Item Cat: TAQ & TAP.

Create Sales order for Main item Computer :

All the items will be displayed as sub items include mouse,Hard disk,Mother Board,Processor,Ram.

Item category determination in Multilevel BOM

If u want to price the main item then

OR ERLA -

-

TAQ

OR NORM -

TAQ TAQ1

OR NORM -

TAQ1 TAE

In TAQ item category functionality in the Structure Scope field Select ' B' .

TAQ1 is copy of TAQ but only difference is in the Structure Scope field Select "A".

TAE is standard one.

If u want to price the components then

OR LUMF -

-

TAP

OR NORM -

TAP TAP1

OR NORM -

TAP1 TAN

In TAP functionality in structure scope field select "B".

TAP1 is copy of TAP but in Structure scope field select "A".

In that way BOM item category is determined for multilevel BOM during sale order process

Reward If Helpful..

Regards..

Praveen Kumar.D

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Trying what you offered made me realize that my item category assignment was correct, and that the problem was a different one.

After investigating it, i found that the BOM definition wasn't correct. The multilevel BOM (computer) was defined for a specific plant, and the one level BOM (CPU) was defined for another plant. That's why it couldn't explode.

Thank you very much for your help.