Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

item level parcel Tracking with external carriers through AII

Hi folks,

I am new to AII and am trying to explore the possibilities with the tools at hand.

With flexible delivery processing, we have tight control over the goods statuses across customer and supplier. For example, EM would let the customer know that the goods left the warehouse and are on their way.

Suppose I would like to integrate this information with the parcel tracking service of external carriers. The web services and web based tools such carriers offer are surprisingly immature. Some "global" companies are not able to provide seamless information, every carrier has their own standard and some do not provide public interfaces which could be used for customer-level tracking in a useful way (eg requiring authentication credentials of the warehouse clerk requesting the delivery).

I am wondering whether AII could be enabled to orchestrate this information flow. If an appropriate EDI format would exist, the carriers could be requested to update AII on shipment item level with any new statuses through EDI. Now it's up to the supplier to present the information to the customer as need be. This would remove inconsistencies as mentioned above.

Does this sound like a viable idea, are there EDI messages available for the task at hand and do you know of companies having successfully implemented something like this?

cheers & thanks,

Helpful Answer

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question