cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check-out Exclusive and Check-out Nonexclusive

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When we check out a record exclusively or non-exclusively why is the 'Modify Join Permissions' option active(not disabled).According to my understanding,if we make check-out non-exclusive, without modifying join permission,all the other users must be able to 'Join checkout'.If it is exclusive we have to assign user and role who can Join Checkout it.Then why is the 'Modify Join Permission' option coming for non-exclusive checkout also.Apart from my understanding is there any other difference between the two.Please help me in clarifying this.

Thanks and Regards,

Preethi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

so your problem is solved,

Regards,

srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

yes but i am not sure about the role.

Regards,

Preethi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

now i checked, as you said, there is a role called "any one", and i also checked in the console --> admin --> roles for a particular repository, i could not found any role named

"anyone", i think it is default in MDM.

in that join permissions, remove all the users and roles, and log in to the Datat manager with another user, and see how it wil work.

hope this may help you,

regards,

srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

I have done that.Admin user cant be removed at all.I have removed the role 'Anyone'

and logged in as another user and tried to join checkout it.It is throwing the error correctly 'Not invited for checkout'

Thanks and Regards,

Preethi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Preethi,

By default modify join will show role/user as anyone because when you login with other user or role that you have mentioned in console then it allows you join in that checkouted record. If you remove anyone then nobody is allowed to join the checkout records. It acts as checkout exculisve.

When you checkout records non exclusively then in modify join permission you can add the user whom you want to add in the checked out records

Hope I am able to answer you

Thanks & Regards

Dilmit Chadha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Preethi,

You cant remove Admin role from that list because Admin role as rights to access all the functions and properties(in console).

Thanks

Dilmit Chadha

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Why we use Join permissions in the case of Checkout non exlusive is:

we can assign users and roles. ( some times there will be non members of the check out)

follow this steps, and you can see:

1.In the Records pane, select the checked out record(s) whose join permissions you want to modify.

2. Right-click on one of the records and choose Check In/Out ® Modify Join Permissions from the context menu, or choose Records ® Check In/Out ® Modify Join Permissions from the main menu.

hope this may help you,

regards,

srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Thanks for your response.I tried doing check out non-exclusive and then Modify join permission.It is taking a role called [Anyone] by default.As you said i can remove this role so that it cannot allow other users to join checkout.This role is not available in the console.Where is it taking this role from?

Thanks and Regards,

Preethi

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

When you checked out the record Non-exclusively for example 2 records,

for another user, these records will be greyed out, the user can checked in by

in the context menu --> check in / out --> click on join check out . then only he can view and make any changes in the record.

for him modify join permissions will be disabled.

this may help you,

Regards,

srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Thanks for the response.The user who checks out a record non-exclusively also gets the option 'Modify Join Permission'.Why is this feature available for check-out non exclusive where it is not required as any other user in this case could join the checkout without modifying join permissions.I just want to know if there is any other functionality behind it.

Thanks and Regards,

Preethi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Preethi,

In check-out non-exclusive user who checks out record gets the option of adding or removeing users and/or roles by moving them between the Available and Selected lists.

Thanks & Regards

Dilmit Chadha

Former Member
0 Kudos

please go through this ok.if u need more details on this let me know ok .

When data is to be modified, it is always safer to maintain a lock over it so that others are not able to modify it at the same time. It acts as a kind of locking mechanism and guarantees consistency.

Checked Out records should become read only for other users.

Only the owner of the check out should have the permission to allow others to join the check out. Any of the joined users may check in the data back.

Regarding Exclusive check-out

Exclusive check-out – Grants join permissions to no other roles or users (by default, no other users can join the check-out)

Non-Exclusive Check-Out – Grants join permissions to the everyone role (by default, all users can join the check-out)

Regards

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

(1) Exclusive, which grants join permissions to no other roles or users (by default, no other users can join the checkout); and

(2) Nonexclusive, which grants join permissions to the Everyone role (by default, all users can join the checkout).

Instead of checking in the duplicate record, the owner can use the Roll Backcommand to delete the duplicate and abandon changes.

You can use the All Versions command to display both versions (originals and duplicates) of all checked out records. This is the only way for other users to join the check out of new records.

You can use role-based privileges to decide whether owners and/or non-owners are permitted to check in, roll back, or modify join permissions of checked out records.

follow this link:

http://help.sap.com/search/highlightContent.jsp

hope this may help you,

Regards,

srinivas