cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table relations and lookup problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

currently I am working on an MDMSRM project, and we came up with the following problem:

Suppliers use eClass and the company internally uses their own product groups. Every product group can have n eClasses linked to. Now I need to have the product groups shown upon import of new data in the main table.

So far I came up with the following: eClasses are mapped to product groups manually (that step has to be done anyway manually). Between those tables exists a parent (product groups) - child (eClass) relationship. Now I wrote an assignment, which writes the corresponding product group according to the eClass relation into the main table. The same would work as well with a calculated field.

However I do not consider that as very elegant since every time we change the product groups, we have to run the assignment (or recalculate) again. Furthermore the data from the product groups are already in the lookup table and should not be written into the main table.

As I tried, I cannot set a value in a lookup field with an assignment. Is that correct?

Anyone any ideas? We are using the latest version of MDM with the latest patch.

Thank you all in advance

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are planning to to show Product group when the suppliers are laoded with eClass.

One way of doing it with out assignement and calculation is making athe ProductGroup a Dispaly field if you have created a EClass as a look up table that has ProductGroups mapping init.

If you have created as Eclass as a Hierarchy table. you can still make the Product Group as a a Display field.

Which will be seen in that data manager default separated by "," on the same field.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhusudhan,

thanks for you reply.

However we want to avoid mapping the product groups within the eclass-table since only a few entries would be mapped. I first thought it might be better, but it is probably easier for upgrade reasons to keep the eclass-table clean. I may be wrong but for me it appears to be better to link fields in about 50 product groups to the eclass than to add additional fields for 25000 eclass records. What do you think (I'm still quite new to it)?

But maybe we should do that indeed.

Christian

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I figured out how to fill lookup fields through assignments and that step replaces basically what I wanted to achieve.

Thanks all for contribution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Heuer,

You have to create a Workflow that triggers For record update and Have the assignment that was created to be executed.

Any time user updates the record workflow will trigger and to complete the assignment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are using a Hierarchy

Product Group

eClass under it.

As log as this relation is not MULTI nested. Under a product group has multiple eClass. There should not be any child under eclass.

on the main table you display eClass.

Create a text field have an assignemnt to this field

Thre assignement looks like this.

Product.Group.[Parent].Code

Tested try it out

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhusudhan,

that is basically what I had before. My target was to get rid of the assignment writing into a text field, since that would be to static. Every time something is changing in the chain, you have to reassign the values.

Thank you anyway for your reply. I think I will stick to the current solution.

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi christian,

The problem that i comprehended from ur scenario is that u want the the eclasses should b visible under the product groups and each product groups have their own set of eclasses mapped to them.

If this is d case then the best solution i can recommend is there are 2 workarounds in which they can be realised so that u can avoid the assignments:

<b>way1:</b>

U can have the product groups in ur main table as alook up field and eclass as the other lookup table inside it(<b>nesting of lookups</b>) .

<b>Way2:</b>

U can maintain the product group as lookup hierarchy and have eclass inside it.U can mention the relationship in the relationship table wher u can establish a relation between any two fields linking them as sibling or child.

Please award me points if u find this blog helpful.

Thanks & Regards ,

Deepankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepankar,

way 2 is the current way I worked out already. I tried your way 1, but the problem is that each product has only one eclass allocated. When I show product groups with eclass within, it shows me all the eclasses associated with that product group.

Basically MDM needs to auto-fill the product group field depending on what is in eclass. However the relationship between this two lookup tables does not help.

I need sth that says:

select eclass, product_groups from ... where eclass=product_group

Any more ideas?

Another option I came up with would be to set a lookup value with an assignment. Does that work? Currently I can fill the product group field with an assignment, but the field is not a lookup field but a text field.

Thanks

Christian