cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in XI transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are having a common SLD for development and production environment. We have a set of business systems, belonging to third party technical system, from which we get files and we post them to R3. Each business system has a logical system name associated with it. The scenarios are working fine and now we are planning to transport them to production.

Here we have a problem. The logical names(Partner names in ERP) used by business systems in development and production are same. In SLD, we are not able to create new business system for production transport group with same logical system names, since they have already been taken up in development group. And without transport group assignment configuration objects are not getting transported to production.

Can we have a work around which would solve this problem?

Thanks,

Bhavish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavish,

The work around requires some testing from your part. My suggession would be -

Change your development scenarios by changing the logical systems names in DEV environment. I am sure this should be feasible since we can modify the partner profile configurations etc in DEV system. Test if the interfaces are working fine. Then create the new business systems with the logical names as per the prd system in the prd group. Do not forget to associate these with the proper transportation targets. Then use CMS to transport the configuration objects.

Hope it makes sense and works.

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry,

I did not understand what you mean by DEV, PRD etc. Do you mean having separate instances of SAP XI? Well, they are in place. However, we have one common SLD for all.

Moreover, the partner names used in all systems are identical. And all these partners are business systems belonging to Third Party Technical Systems in SLD. So ther's no chance of having separate logical system names since there are no distiction based on client.

Hi VJ,

I have thought about solution you suggested. However, it is not possible to make changes to Partner Profiles now since testing has been done and approved. Moreover, client has been trained on using these. So any modification would not be appreciated.

Please let me know if we could create Two Business Systems having same logical system name. In general, it is not possible. However, is there a work around?

Thanks,

Bhavish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Although you will need the common XI systems, you will also need to have a dev, test, production system to connect to/from. Even if they are the same system.

I always create the same number of system per landscape.

e.g.

I have the current systems for XI & R/3

Developlemt

Test

Business Readiness Testing

Cutover

Production

So for my other 3rd party systems, i have had to create 5 different systems, even though I only have two systems! this is so I can transport properly, but the communication channel points to the same system for pre production and changes for the productive system. The only physical connection from the SLD to systems is on SAP systems.

This has never failed me in three years of developments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry,

This is very true. For managing transports properly, we have to maintain as many business systems for each physical technical system as there are number of environments.

However, how do you maintain the logical system names for those business systems if they are pointing to technical systems of type Third Party?

In SLD when I try to create separate systems for Development and Production, it doesnt allow me to enter same logical system name for both. And the fact is that I need to have them same since development could not be changed.

Kindly let me know if you have encountered this kind of problem.

Thanks,

Bhavish

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

U cannot have same logical system name for more than 1 Business system in SLD.

<i>And the fact is that I need to have them same since development could not be changed.</i>

Which development are u talking about. This logical system name is used during the message transfer and can be edited from the ID - business system - adapter specific identifiers

Regards,

Prateek

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

><i>This logical system name is used during the message transfer and can be edited from the ID - business system - adapter specific identifiers</i>

Yes and No. For a business System even if you do this, I dont think you will be allowed to activate the changes. You can do this for a Business Service for sure, but Business systems will not allow you to remove the Logical System Name without changing the reference in the Sld.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Then is there a work around to this problem?

Thanks,

Bhavish

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No clean solutions . Only work arounds

1. When moving to production remove the logical system names of the Business System in DEV / QA and let the objects remain in Prod thsi way. When ever you need to go back to Dev you might need to use another logical system name. Change the partner profiles on SAP and so on.

2. If you want to continue using a single logical system name, use a Business Service and not a Business System

Regards

Bhavesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you not use the SID?

We use things like SID_DEV, SID_QAS, SID_PRD to differentiate.

Also, things like

DEV_3RD_PARTY_SOFTWARE

QAS_3RD_PARTY_SOFTWARE

We agree a naming convention before starting development...

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check this:

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/9e76e511-0d01-0010-5c9d-9f768d644808">Howto handle SLD in XI</a>

Message was edited by:

Prabhu S