Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change owner for transport from an external system

jeff_lashock
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have some transports that were brought into our DEV system from an external system. (They're BSI transports but I don't think that detail is important.) We are using a third party transport management system (Insite) and in order to move these transports using Insite, I need to change the owner of these transports to myself. When I try to do so I receive an error "Request L6BK134312 cannot be changed: Incorrect system or wrong naming convention".

I've been told that all I need to do is to configure or add the source system to our DEV system and then I should be able to change the owner. My problem is that I cannot figure out where to go to make this change.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Jeff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why do you want to change the owner? You can import/export without it.

Thanks,

jeff_lashock
Explorer
0 Kudos

As I said, we are using an external transport management system called Insite. Before I can see the changes that I want to transport in Insite, I need to set the owner to my ID. It won't recognize them before that. It's kind of a pain but that's the way the program is.

The reason we are using this program is that it allows us to automate, track, and otherwise document transports including forcing approvals before they get transported to the next system in the landscape. I used to move these the old fashioned way (from the command line) which didn't require changing the owner but we used paper forms to request approvals. Switching this to Insite is an attempt to eliminate some paper.

Do you know what changes need to be made to allow me to change to owner?

Thanks,

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

It is not possible to change the Owner of a Transport Request created on a external system. I believ you are doing the BSI Tax Factory transports. As you have mentioned you are using the Third Party transport utility Insight which requires a transport request to be owned by you, the only way left out is to create a blank transport request with your ID and import all the object from the BSI transport into the same. Release it and go forward with your transports.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Sanujit

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jega
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff

Did you manage to find a solution for your issue,  I'm having similar issues.

Thanks Jeff

jeff_lashock
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I do have a regular procedure that I follow to get this to work.  Ruchit Khushu was correct when he said that it had to be "a normal customizing or workbench request."  Creating a transport of copies never worked for me, so I had to set the task to Workbench.

Here's my procedure:

1) Import the transports

2) Go to SE10 and create a new transport

3) Change the task to Workbench by selecting it, using menu option Request/Task > Change Type... and select Workbench.

4) Click on the transport number to select it.

5) Select menu Request/Task > Object List > Include Objects...

6) Enter a transport you want to include

7) Repeat 5 & 6 until all transports have been included.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

jega
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeff,

That worked perfectly.

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

As Sanujit pointed out, you need to create a transport of copies. Create an empty transport under your name, copy all objects from external transport into ur transport and then release/import.

Fahad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sanujit,Hello Fahad,

Without importing a transport you can not include its objects in any transport. System would never identify it!!

Hello Jeff,

It is peculiar requirement more so because the entire import is done using 3rd party tool. I am not really sure of my solution (if it would work) but may be you can work.

For the external transport you surely would have control file and data file.

First take back up of the control file and then edit the original control file. It will show you the name of transport owner. Change the owner name to yours. I dont know if it would work (never had to try this out) but may be you can try it out. Also if it doesnot qork restore the control file back up.

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

I have given the solution assuming that the transports has already been done to the Development system in the manual process. My assumption as Jeff has mentioned he tried changing the owner and got the error message.

Regards,

Sanujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanujit,

If your assumption is correct then your solution is also very correct. Though I will not use transport of copies but a normal customizing or workbench request

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeff,

I don't think there is a way to change the owner of the transport. I have never seen it changed.

Hope you'll sove your problem...

Thanks,