Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implicit enhancement and Explicit enhancement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus ,

Can anyone please let me know about what is <b>implicit enhancement and explicit enhancement</b>.Steps involved in the same .

Thanks ...

ashok...

6 REPLIES 6

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Hey Rich

I 've been struggling with this for about two days now and have read whatever there was worth reading on this topic, in fact I have checked the forum up till last year my question is

1. I have created an implicit enhancement in a Z package.

2. A composite enhancement imp in a Z package.

3. Assigned my simple enhancement to the composite enhancement in SE80.

4. 'Ve followed the std process of displaying Imp Enhcmnts and creating an Imp.

4. A source code plug in appears at the end of the subroutine exactly where I want it

Now when I introduce my code in the Enhancement and save : it gives me an error saying object must not be edited. (An Exception of class CX_ENH_MOD_NOT_ALLOWED). When I try to activate the enhancement it says Operation failed.

Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong here? or do I need an OSS note?

Thanks

Sameer

0 Kudos

Since this thread is open since long time and come across it so thought of replying to it

Sameer

You should never assign implicit enhancement implemetation a 'Z' package.

0 Kudos

And that's because...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Implicit enhancement points are basically points within ABAP code where an enhancement point is implied, and in which case can be created. Examples of implicit enhancement points are at the beginning and end of FORM’s, at the end of a program, include or function module etc. Below is a step by step demonstration of how to create and implicit enhancement point.

Explicit enhancement points are basically hooks already coded into the program by SAP at various points of the code. See program RIAUFMVK for examples of these! These are very easy to implement simply go into enhancement mode of SE80 and right click on the enhancement point where you want to add your code and choose ‘Enhancement Implementation->Create’ Give it a name, description and assign it to a change request (should not be a Z package) and then simply add the code as normal.

Reward if helpful.

Regards,

Karthick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>Implecit enhancement :</b> These are provided in specific areas of standard source code:

1. At the end of the programs ( reports, includes, function pools, module pools)

2. At the begin and end of subroutine forms.

3. At the end of the functional module

4. At the end of all visabilities areas

In this case you do not need to create and enhancment spot. You directly put your curosr on the enhancement option and create your inplementations by right click.

<b>Explicit enhancement :</b> It can be anywhere in your source code. You need to explicitly have a enhancement point.It is of two types:

1. Enhancement spot : It is the point where you can add your code. It can have multiple implementations. All the implementations can active at a time but the sequince of executions of the implementations can be anything.

2. enhancement section : If you want to execute your own code instead of some portion standard code. Only the active implementation is execute. Only one implementation is active at a time.

2. Enhancement section