archiving and user acceptance tests...
I would like to hear your thoughts on the following: in an archiving project, is it necessary to have a test system equal to production ( = after a client copy ) to perform user acceptance tests, or is there another way in having the user test and approve your archiving plans ?
Yes, It is very much necessary to have the test system equal to production system. Reason are
1. Identifying the Archiving objects to be implemented is based on the size and growth of the data so to check this we need copy of production. Similarly identifying top tables based on the growth and size. If we are having different system for production then it is not going to help in the project.
2. During analysis for some of the tables we have to carry out Table analysis and some time we have to create virtual variants to study the distribution of the data on month wise, year wise, comp wise and so on. Note: Adhoc variant can be used but in this we cannot create virtual fields so we need test system which is equal to production system.
3. Through test system we can do the detail analysis of the each and every table which is highest size and fast growth per month. If there is difference in the table size from test system to production system then there will be no using of doing it.
4. If you want to update some OSS notes then we have to test it in the test system and then carry out in production system. Search of OSS note depends upon the support package of your system. Difference in the system will not help in doing the test with different scenarios.
5. If there is any release of new programs for you system by SAP then it is obviously good in upgrading the new business configuration sets. Which we will initially do it in the test system and later discuss with the business configuration owners about the difference before and after activating the BC sets. BC Sets are given based on the support package as well.
and so on..
Because of all these reasons we should have Test system equal to production.