cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode Project Procedure

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are about to embark on a combined upgrade and unicode conversion project. However, I am unsure about exactly which procedure to adopt. SAP's guide recommends creating an "ABAP Preparation System" being an upgraded copy of Production which has been unicode'd. In this system they say you correct all your unicode non-compliant custom code and then create a single transport of all the corrections which is then included in the upgrade of subsequent systems.

However, another approach says to use the "ABAP Preparation System" to simply generate a list of all your unicode non-compliant custom code which you then correct in your 4.6C DEV prior to upgrading it.

My final thought is could you not simply upgrade and covernt DEV and then fix in place all your unicode non-compliant custom code in place, eliminating the need for the "ABAP Preparation System"?

What approach do those undertaking or who have completed a CU & UC project?

Regards,

Tom Maggs

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Dear Tom,

I'm doing the conversion with CU&UC procedure for SAP 4.6C. We decided for CU&UC because the system is MDMP (more than one codepage in TCPDB). If you have a single code page you can use the standard procedure: upgrade and then unicode conversion. The first time that I made the upgrade I used the standard procedure applying note 838403 to came back to single codepage, but you can do the standard procedure also if your system is MDMP. The scope of the first run was only test the upgrade procedure, give to developers the environment to modify programs to unicode enabled and test unicode conversion procedure.

You have to use the CU&UC in production otherwise downtime would be unacceptable.

I can't use our development, to do the first run because it last more than 2 months and we can't remain without development for long time.

Regards

Giuseppe

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Marcus, thankyou for you reply. I am aware that the unicode conversion process is much more than just the abap code corrections. I've already run SPUM4 which did not find any issues. From a Basis point of view my biggest problem will be the db export and re-import.

However, I need to plan the approach we will take to the ABAP corrections which is why I am trying to find out how others have approached this.

Regards,

Tom Maggs

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There's more preparation to do then just the abap code corrections, this is just one step of the preparation. You will need to run (in 4.6c) SPUM4, do all the scanning, codepage assignments and all the other stuff covered in the conversion guide.

You use then the result of that plus you ABAP code corrections to make the target release unicode compliant.

--

Markus