Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Question regarding XSD

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear friends,

Hope you are all doing great.I've one very basic question, please help me to understand/educate it.

We all know that we can import XSD,WSDL as External Definition, this is fine. After creating Data type ,if you go to XSD tab there is option of exporting the XSD. Similarly after creating Message type, if you go to XSD tab there is option of exporting the XSD. Try to export both of them [Data type & Message type] and then re-import them as External Definitons. We can use only XSD that exported via Message type. We can't use the XSD exported via Data type.

Can you guys tell me the reason, why is it so?

Best regards,

raj.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Raj

i myself haven't tried this but i would like to answer based upon my knowledge of DT and MT.

see the thing is that Data types is only an abstract description of structure,much like other abstract structures(abstract classes,abstract functions etc) they don't point to a specific root element,its actually the message type that points to a root element thus tagging the abstract structure(Data type) along with an element.

i could be for the same reason that the XSD created from DT is also an abstract description,it will work if we create a message type from it(tagging abstract description with root element)

hope it helps you a bit:)

Thanx

Aamir

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Aamir,

Thanks buddy. But why they have kept the export option in Data Type level. If I export that I can't use the same in Message Type in XI too. So you mean I need to export the Data type XSD add some modification to the structure using external editor and bring back the same into XI [External Definition] is it? Does it make sense.. Or I'm understanding it wrongly?

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Raj

see the thing as far as i remember is that the message type confirms to Web service description(WSDL) standards,we create abstract data type but they don't confirm to WSDL standards,so in order to make them of WSDL standards we create a message type for them,MT is just an extra layer added in between so that our structure(Data types) are at par with standards.

now based upon the above argument,even the XSD derived from Data type won't confirm to WSDL standards,so as you said if we make some modifications(to make it confirm to WSDL standard) we should be able to use it as well

Thanx

Aamir