cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I edit the Java source?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

Is ist possible to edit the Java code of an iView that I created with Visual Composer?

From within VC I can only view the XML code. When I compile the model as Web Dynpro, how can I view and edit the Java source?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thorsten,

I believe this is possible only in Netweaver CE (7.1)..wat vs are you on?

prachi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using NetWeaver 2004s SP9 Java

Do you really mean that it is not possible to use VC to create the user interface and then adapt the code manually?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is clear that the goal with VC is not to generate JAVA code that can then be adapted manually.

The idea is to work with modeling only !

Even if you can access the generated JAVA code, it is basically not generated in a way to be understood by developers.

Rgds,

Karim

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, if that's the case, could you - or anybody else - suggest a way or a tool to create user interfaces for Web Dynpro (Java) quickley and without much coding?

In fact I had thought of a top down approach where I just have to code the business logic manually and let the view components be generated by a tool...

Former Member
0 Kudos

not in nw04s, you cant do any coding here..in addition, a lot of ui elements are not supported in webdynpro. infact, we're better off using flex in this version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thorsten,

Developing with WD Java isn't that bad if you're familiar with the logic of controllers/contexts..It generates alot of code for you..as for ui elements, you just need to do some drag-and-drop and configuration..

VC would no doubt be alot easier and faster. Am not familiar with your requirements, but you can always wrk around and write (and invoke) webservices or rfcs (as suitable) to help manipulate with the coding

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, you would suggest to use Netweaver CE (7.1) instead?

What I'm doing right now is actually an evaluation of suitable technologies for EP development - it's not for productive use, yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i hvnt had the chance to lay my hands on ce yet, so i'll let the experts answer this one:)

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, thank you anyway - it's not what I wanted to hear but at least I know that it is no use trying any longer!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thorsten,

the suitable technologie depens on your requirements, when you want to build simple applications VC is the right tool, if you want to build more complex apps then use webdynpro.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi all,

A clarification regarding Visual Composer in CE:

It is not possible to create a model in VC-CE and then modify the "generated java code".

This is also not a planned functionality.

Rachel Ebner

Visual Composer infrastructure architect

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel,

A couple of follow up questions on the information you gave:

1. Will there be provided any hooks (user exits) where custom java code can be supplied?

2. Or is visual composer 100% a pure moddeling tool?

Cheers

Dagfinn

0 Kudos

Hi,

This is indeed a planned functionality.

For CE 7.1.1 we will provide integration with Web dynpro components. We are also working on integration with EJBs(potentially for CE 7.1.1)

This means that you will be able to search for WD or EJB components via the "Search" panel, and drag them into your model.

As for typing java code staight into the model - this is currently not planned, but we are considering various specific use cases for this.

Best regards,

Rachel Ebner

Visual Composer infrastructure architect