cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lOOK UPS situation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i studied all the links regarding LOOK UPS which are provided in the SDN .. but still i did't clear with this information.. when exactly we will go for lookups.. i means in which situation we will go for lookups..( i studyed that lookups will interrupt the mapping and interact with the database and access the data from the database in the mapping time..) but in what scenario we need to get the data from database...give me a simple example..

can any body give me a brief idea abt LOOK UPs..

thanks

babu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Babu,

-->give me a simple example..

Here you go :

Suppose a company A wants to go for SAP Implementation...currently they are maintaining their own code( for material, customer....bla bla..let assume the codes be of 4 char) in their own systems (call these systems legacy).

But in SAP you can maintain the codes up to 10 char (if i am not wrong) ..

Now if you want to integrate your old system with new system ...you need to have a mechanism to match these code and then only send information either way.

for this purpose Lookup is required...

But if you will go for Value Mapping in IR the table will be static and also you cannot maintain the table in Production time...(like you cannot add and delete the value in Production time.. )

So in this case mechanism of DB Lookup type is required where XI will look into the table only at required time and also you can maintain it as you will not be tweaking with XI...you just need to maintain the DB table..use the DB Lookup mapping in

IR and at runtime codes will get converted or checked and the corresponding data can be passed on .

Hope i am clear..

Regards,

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi babu,

as u have already gone thru some material, consider this:

suppose u have some order information in a flat file and u want to send it to SAP r/3. so u wud use a file sender and idoc/rfc/proxy at receiver for it.

but the order info in file does not contain the customer's details like adress etc. suppose this is stored in some database. now what u can do is send the file info to xi and during mapping access the database thru DB look up and get the customer details ....fill all the info (from file + database) into ur target structure and send to the receiver system.

this is just a hypothetical situation to explain the concept.

[reward if helpful]

regards,

latika.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Within an XI mapping it is a common requirement to be able to perform data lookups on-the-fly. In particular, there may be a need to look up some data that is maintained in an R/3 application.

In the error handling topic we have seen the different validations which need to be performed on file. This can be done through Lookup.

Some use cases:

• Look up material number from table MARA.

• Look up cost center budget.

• Look up employee information.

• Look up unit-of-measure (UOM) information from table t006a.

• Lookup for raising an alert.

The purpose of the lookup may be:

• To perform application-level validation of the data, before sending it to the backend.

• To populate fields of the XML document with some additional data found in the backend application.

This is a form of value transformation.

The "value mappings" offered by XI are not adequate in this case, since the data would have to be manually entered in the Integration Directory.

There are two ways in which we can do lookup:

• Call lookup method from GUI mapping.

• Call lookup method from XSLT mapping.

Lookup method from GUI mapping can be called using any of the following ways.

• RFC lookup using JCO (without communication channel)

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/21/use-this-crazy-piece-for-any-rfc-mapping-lookups

• RFC lookup with communication channel.

/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/03/27/sap-xi-lookup-api-the-killer

• Lookup using JDBC adapter.

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/23/lookup146s-in-xi-made-simpler

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/12/06/optimizing-lookups-in-xi

• CSV file lookup.

/people/sundararamaprasad.subbaraman/blog/2005/12/09/making-csv-file-lookup-possible-in-sap-xi

Thanks and Regards,

Chirag Gohil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

one example could be ..suppose you have a material code in your erp system as E100006. Now you are sending production order to a legay system.

Now in ur legacy system the same material code could be represented as 106.

So one of the way in which you can find out the legacy code number is using lookups.

Regards,

Sumit