cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on SQL backup guidelines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have to implement a backup of a SAP system based on SQL using EMC Legato NetWorker.

As per my poor knowledge about SAP, there is no the NetWorker module for SAP on SQL, therefore I have to find a different way.

On the SAP with Oracle side, I knew that a "brbackup" utility was present, in order to backup SAP on filesystem, for example.

As per my last days surfing on the internet, the "brbackup" utility is not available for SQL.

Auch.. I stop.

Based on your experience, there is a way to backup SAP for SQL with networker ? I m quite sure that the module for SQL to backup SQL server SAP instances is not enough. There is another method, eventually running procedures included in SAP itself ??

Which are the SAP guidelines to backup a whole SAP environment to rebuild it completely from scratch in case of a disaster?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion !!!

Pierpa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a Legato client for MSSQL, no need to use "backint" or any other tool.

Configure the Legato client according to the documetnation and you're done.

--

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We are running ECC 6.0 (SQL 2000) on 32 bit OS,

Backups are begin run with COMMVAULT (third party tool)

Commvault has now stated that they do not have an agent for SAP backups.

Our contigency and FULL FILE SYSTEM backup strategy that we are currently testing

1. Full File system backup MINUS the db.

2. HOT SQL DB backup (because commvault has error 'insuffient resources' for FULL cold file system backup with the db)

3. Restore Full file system backup

4. Restore SQL db backup.

My question is 1, should this strategy work?

and 2. Is there someone out there who is running ECC 6.0 on SQL 32bit and getting successfull backups with commvault or other? Please rescue me from my bakup stress...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pier,

You can refer to this link for MSSQL backup strategy:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/d1/21714b7d3a11d288ec0000e8200722/frameset.htm

brbackup is not available for MSSQL.I don't think so EMC Legato has special agent for SAP but i'm very confident as long as the software can backup MSSQL database, you will able to restore. I suggest to buy the agent to backup the file system as well since there's lot of SAP component that writing log in the file system. Another thing, it's better for you to ask the vendor to perform "proof of concep" before you pay for the software.

Thanks and Regards

**Points reward is appreciated.