Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Log

former_member240483
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

Could any one explain me how to and where to check error log files in XI.

Regards

Rao

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

From SAP Notes

Log file:

A log file contains generally intelligible information for system administrators. The information is sorted by categories and is used for system monitoring. Problem sources or critical information about the status of the system are logged in this file. If error messages occur, you can determine the software component that has caused the error using the location. If the log message does not provide enough details to eliminate the problem, you can find more detailed information about the error in the trace file.

The log file is located in the file system under

"/usr/sap/[SID]/[instance]/j2ee/cluster/server[N]/log/applications.[n].log" for every N server node.

Access the file with the log viewer service of the J2EE visual administrator or with the standalone log viewer.

Trace file:

A trace file contains detailed information for developers. This information can be very cryptic and extensive. It is sorted by location, which means by software packages in the Java environment, for example, "com.sap.aii.af". The trace file is used to analyze runtime errors. By setting a specific trace level for specific locations, you can analyze the behavior of individual code segments on class and method level. The file should be analyzed by SAP developers or experienced administrators.

The trace file is located in the file system under

"/usr/sap/[SID]/[instance]/j2ee/cluster/server[N]/log/defaultTrace.[x].trc" for each N server node.

Access the file with the log viewer service of the J2EE visual administrator or with the standalone log viewer.

Thanks

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member240483
Contributor
0 Kudos

i ma lloking for furthur info..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Have mentioned the path in the post

The log file is located in the file system under

"/usr/sap/[SID]/[instance]/j2ee/cluster/server[N]/log/applications.[n].log" for every N server node.

The trace file is located in the file system under

"/usr/sap/[SID]/[instance]/j2ee/cluster/server[N]/log/defaultTrace.[x].trc" for each N server node.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rao,

<b>You can check error logs as latika has mentioned but usually developers are not supposed to have OS level access of server</b>

More over there are monitoring tools like SXMB_MONI and RWB i think those are sufficient for any developer..until unless some one is performing the role of Technology consultant also where you need to keep track of trace levels also and check how the system is performing..

hope i am clear..:-)

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi rao,

log files are created in

<ur j2ee dir>/cluster/server0/log/applications/com.sap.xi with extension .log

[reward if helpful]

regards,

latika.

former_member240483
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Latika,

thanks for u r responce .but where i can find this j2ee dir..do i have to ask Basis people..is this is a folder on XI box..

Regards

Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes rao u can ask them. it mst be a c: or d: drive path.

former_member240483
Contributor
0 Kudos

Latika ..do u have any idea how this j2ee directory format looks like..

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

error logs can be found in RWB and descriptive error can be checked in sxmb_moni

former_member240483
Contributor
0 Kudos

u mean the XML monitoring in MONI is the Error log file...

Is there anything separate saying Error logfile in XI.where i can c total error occured during one run...

Regrads

Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

U can see the error in MONI and if u want complete error details then u have to check in RWB.

Regards,

Phani

former_member240483
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

Where in RWB i can chheck full details of errors.

Regards

Rao

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rao

u can check the component monitoring or adapter monitoring for the error logs.

Lathika

I'm not much exposed to the link u had posted. In what way it is concerned with the error logs. could pls explain. and what difference it makes from th logs u find in rwb

thkx

Prabhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi prabhu,

this is the place where u find all the log files and trace files placed on server. there are log files for repository, directory, rwb etc.

rao,

for the path u can ask xi admin/basis person. it will be according to ur system.

regards,

latika.

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Does the monitoring tools makes use of these log fiels for display the one u see in moni and rwb? or this is something separate?