cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we increase work process?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi frds,

We are using Itanium servers with 8GB RAM. How many work process can be increased for this server.

Regards,

Nageshwar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends on th euser activity, if u have a heavy user activity like say if u have 10-20 users and the activity is high from then, then u should have 10 dialog 4 background 2 update 1 enq.

now u do the math depending on your requirements.

regards,

Niran.

P.s, allot me some points if i have been any help to you. thanx

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per SAP, we can have 50 - 60 MB of memory per work process. So calculate for 8GB memory.

with regards

Sudha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any calculation based on increasing the work process?.Else is there any corresponding note for the same.

Can you please let me know.

Regards,

Radeesh Velayudhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes u can increase the wp. in Instance profile.through rz11.but after increasing u should restart the server.but this was done according to resource

thank u.

Former Member
0 Kudos

well,

from a throughput point of view (benchmarks) the optimum number of wps is depending on the number of CPUs and is about 3-4 wps per CPU.

In real life your primary optimization goal may be different.

On a development system there may be several users locking a wp during debugging session, and therefore the number of wps might be trippel of the one listed above or even higher.

so, the optimum number of wps depends on the usage of the system.

The maximum number configurable is at least 99.

regards

Peter

0 Kudos

Nageshwar

6 dialog, 3 backgrounds, 2 update (v1 n v2), 1spool and 1 enqueue, even for a development system is small. Increase the number of background to at least 5.

4-6 WP per CPU is not valid anymore.

Itanium processor has a power of 800 to 1400 SAPS depending of the model. Plus they are multithreading, multi-core...

One rule of thumbs is to have 1 dialog process for 5 concurrent users. However, some applications consume more dialogs than others (reporting, PI-Sheets,…).

Also, keep in mind that you should limit the number of process per application instance to 50. So, I you plan to have more process, plan to have other application instances.

If you want more information, please give more details (SAP product? Version? Number of concurrent users? ….)

Thanks in advance.

Frank Markarian

SAP America

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

uhu uhu, of course, configure 50 WPs on single-CPU machine and watch 45 of them consumed 0% CPU (in other words - do nothing).

the same is related to number of BGD - only 1-2 of 6 BGD WPs will do real job

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Version is ECC6, my SAP ERP 2005 and number of users are around 50. Can you tell me how many work process we can increase.

regards,

nagesh

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

use 10 Dialog work processes to start with.

if you see too much activity, then use higher value.

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

how many CPUs do you have?

from my experience 4-6 WP per CPU is good value

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I have only one CPU, but we shd have 4-6 dialog work process? Can we increase update work process.

Regards,

Nagesh

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

productive system?

what is current WP configuration?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its not productive........, its dev server and right now we have 6 dailog, 3 backgrd,2 update(v1 n v2), 1spool and 1 enqeue

regards,

Nagesh

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is good combination and no need to change it

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If you want you can have a analysis for SAP people

Regards

Deepanshu