cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI interface estimates

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I need to do a high level estimate of time needed for a XI resource to configure (mapping) the following 3 EDI interfaces:

Outbound interface

EDI 404 - Bill of Lading

EDI 820 - FreightPayments

Inbound interface

EDI 810 - Invoice

THIS ALL CONSIDERING STANDARD MESSAGES WITHOUT ENHANCEMENTS

I would like to have a high level estimate of how long it takes to configure them in XI (Mapping, partner definition, etc).

Could you please give me a ball park on how much time would be required for it?

Thanks a lot

Leonardo De Araujo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

totally depends upon the capabilities of the XI developer.

some people can finish it in 1 week some might take more time.

since you have EDI,i m assuming you have EDI adapters already in place(SeeBurger etc).

my estimate would be 1 week for each scenario,so since you have 3 scenarios it can be 3 weeks,keep 1 week as a grace period so i would say 4 weeks.

i m a bit liberal in my estimate:) but i guess 4 weeks is pretty generous

Thanx

Aamir

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I am new to XI. I thought that XI itself could do the EDI mapping without adapters.

Could you please explain the role of the adapter and tell me if they cost extra?

And yes, the estimate would be assuming it is a simple mapping and that all the functional spec is written and all fields identified.

Thanks

Leonardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>I thought that XI itself could do the EDI mapping without adapters.

mapping and adapters are two different things,mapping is done at design time(IR) whereas adapter configuration is done at configuration time(ID)

SAP XI ships several out of the box adapters which don't cost you extra,these include FTP,HTTP,SOAP,JDBC,IDOC,RFC,XI etc

if your requirement is such that its can't be sufficed by XI inbuilt adapters then you need to buy license from some other company which is XI compatible and can provide you adapters for your specific needs.

usually for EDI we use SeeBurger etc but that doesn't mean you necessarily have to use them,it all depends upon the sender and receiver system

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

leonardo...

to tell in simple words the role of adapter is to convert messages from native format to XI understable message format(XML)...and vice versa...

EDI-->(sender adapter)->XI->(reciver adapter)->reciver Externel system

sorry i need to go....!!!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leonardo,

That depends upon individual....

Actually u can design any interface within hours if u r having the correct technical specification ....problem occurs when u gonna test ur scenarios....

A scenario will be treated as completed only u have got ur desired output.

So... if ur mapping is simple then i dont think it will take more than 1 hor to develop 1 interface.

Actually time required in compex mappings,if u need to write code for proxie....

thats all i know...

regards

biplab

ravi_raman2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Leonardo,

Before sizing...if you have all 3 below then sizing is pretty obvious

1) do you have the xsd for mapping them to........

2) What edi adaptor do you plan to use.

3) Do you have all the mappings at the element level defined and documented.

Regards

Ravi Raman