Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP13: html file - edit locally

former_member388485
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We recently upgraded our system to 04s sp13.

After upgrade, when trying to <i>edit locally</i> an html file in KM I recieve an error:

<i>The download of the document failed</i>

After that I sometimes even get the <i>Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.</i> error.

To me it looks like a bug, and I'm going to open an oss message regarding it but I wanted to know if anyone encountered this before.

The edit <i>online option</i> works fine.

Thanks and regards,

Avishai Zamir

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avishai,

depending on your setup this can have various root causes, check e.g. SAP Note No. 1079399 or SAP Note No. 747031 and other referenced.

First of all I'd check if the parameter 'hostname' is set correctly in URL Generator Service of affected system, see http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/7d/236cfa17034a37a439dc392ec59eb0/frameset.htm.

This parameter is used to find and load the docservice.cab file

Regards, Peter

former_member388485
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

I am familiar with these the notes.

My problem only occurs when trying to edit an html file. There is no problem in local editing any other file type (.doc, .xsl, etc..).

Best regards,

Avishai Zamir

former_member186605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Avishai,

the docservice.log file should bring some clarity here. Anyway there is one thing known which is specific to HTML scenario. My colleague Catherine will update your message tomorrow on this: It could be that the url path name is too

long. There is currently a limitation of 105 characters for HTML resources. In this case the log would state the root cause of issue: 'WARNING: After shorten path, filename C:\Documents and Settings\<userID>\Local Settings\Temp\docservice\..\xy.html seems to long!'

Solution: NW 7.0 SPS 15 will clear this.

Workaround:

a) Using a different, shorter TEMP directory on the clients.

b) Usage of Applet option for Local Editing instead of currently used

ActiveX.

Just for the records: Exclude also that no HTML stylesheet filter is assigned to the repository. Such stylesheet could also lead to an error with

html files.

Regards, Peter

former_member388485
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

This indeed seems to be the issue. I didn't have anything written to the docservice.log file but I changed the tmp directory and shortened the file name and it worked.

Thanks for your help, (and for catherine's)

Avishai Zamir

former_member388485
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Peter,

We Applied SPS 15 on our sandbox environment, but the problem hasn't been cleared.

Any updates?

Best regards,

Avishai Zamir

Answers (0)