Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer namespace/s

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have had no working experience with the newer namespace convention

on SAP eg. /ABC/

I have always used Y* and Z* for customer objects.

Does anybody have knowledge on these questions:

1. Can two separate companies have the same namespace eg. Coca Cola

in the USA registers namespace '/ABC/', and Sony in Japan registers

namespace '/ABC/' ?

2. What are the dis/advantages of using this convention instead of Y*

and Z*

3. Does it make sense to use both '/ABC/' AND Z* ?

4. Where can I find best practise / recomendations ?

Thanks and regards,

Vick.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1 No, it is not possible

2 It is customers reserved namespace. Sometime SAP provides the Z includes in the USERExits FM. So, customer namespace can avoid that.

3. Yes. you can use it... like when you try to implement a user exit's include, that include must be a part of the Z*..

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

4 REPLIES 4

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1 No, it is not possible

2 It is customers reserved namespace. Sometime SAP provides the Z includes in the USERExits FM. So, customer namespace can avoid that.

3. Yes. you can use it... like when you try to implement a user exit's include, that include must be a part of the Z*..

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

0 Kudos

Hi Naimesh

Thanks for your reply.

1. If it is not possible for 2 separate SAP customers to have the same namespace, then how does the same 3rd party developments get into many SAP systems ?

2. Are you suggesting that the Z includes that SAP provides in the USERExits FM can be changed or replaced with /ABC/myinclude ?

3. This means that CMOD and SMOD still use the Z* standard - are there any other objects that cannot be named using the /ABC/ convention ?

Regards,

Vick.

0 Kudos

1. I don't have much idea about the third party objects.. but I have somewhere that third party objects will not come under the /ABC/ namespace.. they will come under the Z*

2. I am not suggesting to change that.. If during the the upgrationd SAP comes up with the Z include in User Exit which is already there in the Customer's SAP system than it could lead to problem in future.. /ABC/ can save customer development from the replacement.

3. I don't have much idea apart from this User Exit...

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. If it is not possible for 2 separate SAP customers to have the same namespace, then how does the same 3rd party developments get into many SAP systems ?

2. Are you suggesting that the Z includes that SAP provides in the USERExits FM can be changed or replaced with /ABC/myinclude?

We had installed Info Pak (third party software) in our SAP system.

They had naming convention '/RWD/...' for their include programs and function modules.

3. This means that CMOD and SMOD still use the Z* standard - are there any other objects that cannot be named using the /ABC/ convention ?

I think for enhancement you still need to use Z*.

Regards,

Ferry Lianto