cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3trans, tp and plug-in upgrade question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There

I am looking at updating the following components on a HPUX 4.7 Unicode SAP server with Oracle DB.

R3trans

tp

PI

PI_BASIS

Pls correct me if I am wrong on any of these procedures

I am guessing I will have to back up the app server Filesystems and the DB.

I think the SPAM/SAINT update must be downloaded based on the SAP_BASIS release.

I think R3trans and tp must be downloaded based on the SAP Kernel eg: SAP KERNEL 6.40 64-BIT UNICODE

I am thinking the procedure for updating the R3trans and tp would be as simple as renaming the current exe's to R3trans_old and tp_old and copying the new ones under /sapmnt/<SID>/exe after uncarring the downloaded files.

And for the upgrade of PI and PI_BASIS plug-ins, this is the procedure I was planning

copy the downloaded CAR files to the /tmp dir and go the /usr/sap/trans use SAPCAR -xvf /tmp/<filename>.SAR. This would result in the necessary files being copied to the EPS/in dir.

Now I could go to tcode /SAINT and load them on to the system.

Thanks

Vic

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont think you have to backup the file systems .. in your case backup the old tp and R3trans and the database.

Process I follow

backup --> Kernel update --> SPAM/SAINT update --> Support pack application

For PI and PI_BASIS ,if you are applying patches , then use SPAM not SAINT , if you are upgrading them from one version to other use SAINT

Thanks

Prince Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prince

Is Kernel update a necessity, because I did not see it as being required in any of the notes that I went through and all of these dictated to update just these two components R3trans and SPAM/SAINT.

FYI we use SAP 4.7 on HPUX and Oracle and I am trying to update these two

PI 2002_1_470 0003 SAPKIPZF53 R/3 PLUGIN

PI_BASIS 2002_1_620 0006 SAPKIPYF56 PI_BASIS

to

PI 2004_1_460 SP13

PI_BASIS 2005_1_620 0008

Currently our SAP_ABA is

SAP_ABA 620 0039 SAPKA62039Cross-Application Component

and Kernel is 640 SP 80

Thanks

Vic

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is always good idea to use the latest kernel . However in your case tp and R3trans update is enough.

I see that you are upgrading PI and PI_BASIS , so use SAINT for install the new plug-in and SPAM for its SPs . This plug in upgrade might have impact on your connected system eg.BW . Search for notes to see whether any know issues out there ..

You going from PI 2002_1_470 to PI 2004_1_470 and not PI 2004_1_460

Thanks

Prince Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see that you are replying to my other thread " SAPCAR error -Illegal byte sequence " on the error with sapcar while ucarring the files, which is related to this thread since these plug-ins suggest that I update R3trans and Spam/Saint.

Since, I keep getting this error even after updating the SAPCAR and also after re-downloading the tp and R3trans .sar files a couple of times, it makes me think that a Kernel upgrade may be necessary since I could be missing some binaries although this is not required as per the Notes. Corrupted files may not be the case since I tried two diff files a couple of times.

Thanks

Vic

Former Member
0 Kudos

i dont think uncaring tp, R3trans has got any connection w/ other binaries in the kernel.

Did you make sure that TP & R3trans are for the right OS?

Thanks

Prince K. Jose