cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware & OS Requirement for SCM OPTIMIZER Server for SAP SCM 5.0 Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I posted this Question on SCM-APO Forum, did not get a Reply ... perhaps bcoz noone in Functional stream knows the answer. Can someone from the SAP Windows / Basis Forum reply on this ?

We have an Internal SCM 5.0 APO System with Latest LiveCache Build. It is on the Unix Platform.

We have not yet Installed the OPTIMIZER in our Internal SAP System. It is a very Small SAP System & not a Productive Environement Yet. I have heard that for the Optimizer some additional Server or Hardware needs to be setup.

I needed some Guidance on this ? I need a reco for the OPTIMIZER Setup Requirements in terms of Hardware and OS ? I've heard only Windows OS is supported ? If true this is another reason why we'd need a new Server as our SCM Server is on Unix. What is the Hardware Requirement (esp. Memory) for the Optimizer Server of SCM. (Would 2GB RAM be sufficient or we need more ?). We will be using Optimizer Once a Week for a maximum of 200 Location-Products Optimizated PurReqs generation.

Thansk,

Ambrish Mathur

Cell : +91-9820139681

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Ambrish,

First of all, SCM optimizer works only on Windows platform.

You have the choice of 32 or 64 bit versions.

If you want to save hardware costs, you have multiple tracks:

Have multiple optimizer on the same machine (eg: for sandbox and development).

If you use a Itanium based system with multiple partition (HP-UX for SCM and LiveCache) and Windows for Optimizer.

The sizing is quite simple. It is not included in Quicksier tool. You have to use additional tools.

Go to service.sap.com/quicksizer

Solution Life-Cycle Management -> Hardware Sizing -> Sizing Guidelines -> Solutions & Platform

Then you have 2 documents you can download:

Optimization Questionnaire for PP/DS

Sizing Questionnaire TP/VS

You usually have an Hardware equivalent with your SCM sizing (those are values for SCM 4.0):

S : Small SAP APO Optimization Model :

Continuous Model : with up to 400.000 continuous variables and 200.000 constraints.

Discrete Model : with up to 100.000 continuous variables, 5.000 discrete variables and 50.000 constraints.

The Optimization server requirements are :

1 CPU per Optimizer Run (Intel Pentium 4) with at least 1,4 GHz. ≥ 512 MB RAM≥ 20 GB Hard Disk.

M : Medium SAP APO Optimization Model :

Continuous Model : with up to 1.000.000 continuous variables and 500.000 constraints.

Discrete Model : with up to 300.000 continuous variables, 50.000 discrete variables and 200.000 constraints.

The Optimization server requirements are :

1 CPU per Optimizer Run (Intel Pentium 4) with at least 1,7 GHz.

≥ 1-2 GB RAM

≥ 20 GB Hard Disk.

L : Large APO Optimization Model :

For models Larger than medium Size M, the Optimization server requirements are :

1 CPU per Optimizer Run (Intel Pentium 4) with at least 2,0 GHz.

≥ 3-4 GB RAM

≥ 20 GB Hard Disk.

When you purchase the hardware, confirm with the vendor you can expand memory.

Also, do not forget that SCM optimizer has its own high-availability feature (Active/Active) with transaction /sapapo/copt01.

As an example, for a better load balancing, you can setup:

PPDS optimizer

You setup the primary node as first optimizer, and the secondary node as second optimizer.

DPS optimizer

You setup the primary node as second optimizer, and the secondary node as first optimizer.

Available optimizer are: CS, CTM, MMP, DPS(PP/DS), SEQ, SNP und VSR(TP/VS).

Last one: SCM Optimizer is now available on Windows 64 bits (Intel and Itanium platform).

Let me know if you need more details.

Best regards

Frank Markarian

f.markarian@sap.com

SAP America