Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of merge id in iviews and pages

HelgeSt
Participant
0 Kudos

I had a very interesting but shocking oss-message today:

The hiding effect of merge id with iviews and pages was a bug!

I think, this must be the longest living bug ever, as we use this "feature" since we use the sap portal (4 years!).

SAP says:

"...merge id is used for merging sub nodes of several objects.

but merge id's purpose is not to "hide" same iviews that appear twice

because of the merge. the "hiding effect" was a bug, and it is fixed

in more advanced versions, so in any case you will have a problem

with your content in next versions."

We used merge id in iviews and pages, to avoid showing these object twice, for example if an object is assigned to two roles and a uses is member if both.

Isn't anybody else using this "feature", too???

Example:

Role A: iview 1

iview 2

Role B iview 2

iview 3

If user is member if role A & role B => iview 1

iview 2

iview 3

SAP says, that we should use the property invisible instead. But I have to decide to set this property either in role (or the worksets behind) A or role B.

This doesn't work if you have many users in role A and B, but some only in A and some only in B! So we would have a third role C with the overlapping content!?

Any others having this error in reasoning?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting!!

You said it right. We should have new role C. combo of A & B with any of role hidden.

there is no point in making changes in iView / Page properties, instead maintain seperate role.

regards

-Kedar Kulkarni

HelgeSt
Participant
0 Kudos

Why is it necessary to fix this feature???

We will have more roles and are forced to use groups or roles in roles to bundle it again. The invisible property would be more useful, if it would have effect on the pcd editor, for example showing the iview white or lucent. Entry points are shown bold, for example, too.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

Today only i find this functionality about the merge id, which show a Iview only once even thought there was two occurance from two different role.

This type of problem is not in EP 5.0.

In SAP R/3 we have two roles,

RoleA: Program 1, Program 2, Program 3

RoleB: Program 2, Program 3, Program 4.

In Portal We create on role called HR_ROLE and assigned to the user. HR_ROLE is linked to ITS sever via Unifier. When a user logs into portal, Unifier will dynamically check what are all the roles attached to this user in SAP and it does the merging operation so that in EP 5.0 Ipanel you will not see any duplicated entry in my case i will see

Program1, Program2, Program3 & Program 4.

The other advantages in EP 5.0 are, when a new program say Program 5 is added to Role A or a new role Role C is added to user, there i no change required in portal when the user logs into the portal next time he will see the new content.

We are in the process of upgrading to EP 6.0 and this functionality is not at all there.

In EP 6.0, we have to import the role from SAP R/3. If we have 50 roles in SAP R/3 then we have to import all the roles and create a corresponding role in portal and attach these roles to the user. When ever a role is changed in SAP R/3 we have to import that role in portal again or when a new role is assigned to user in SAP R/3 we have to assign the correponding role is portal. So have to do the same work twice.

When we upgrade from lower version to higher version the existing functionality should be retained, in case of EP 6.0 it very surprising the a good functionality is not working.

Is there any other way to have the same functionality like EP 5.0.

Regards,

H.K.Hayath Basha.

HelgeSt
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know exactly what you mean, but I think this is another question and perhaps you better open a new thread to avoid mixing it up?

Regards

Helge