cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need FTP server to poll a file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i am trying to do file to file scenario. I have technical system which is different than XI system. in this case my technical system has to be FTP server to send a file or not necessarily.

I am trying to poll file from windows machine to XI system and send back the file again to windows system.

I added my windows machine as technical system and created bunisess system.

In C, i have my file.

But, it is not polling at all. What to give source and target directory while configuring adapters.

thanks,

Srinivas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i am trying to do file to file scenario. I have technical system which is different than XI system. in this case my technical system has to be FTP server to send a file or not necessarily.

Yes, you need FTP connection in order to access file on 3rd system( Not XI)

You need to create FTP Username / password connection to your windows system. Then you can specify this in File adapter with FTP connection details.

Also check the FTP root directory for username which you are going to use to access Windows system and specify path accordingly.

Hope this will help.

Nilesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Thank you very much. Shabarish blog is helpful and i understood that I have to configure FTP server in the third party system in order to poll a file. Otherwise, i have to use my XI server in order to use NFS to poll the file.

Is XI server can act like Sender and Receiver?

In Business system (XI server) i added two CCs for sender and reciever.

When i check it, it polling the file. But doesn't see other end.

Is there any troubleshooting steps. I have seen xml messages and RWB. But no use.

Thanks for ur help,

Srinivas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivasa,

-->has to be FTP server to send a file or not necessarily.

<b>You can use network file system for this purpose...just make the systems, for picking and putting the file, in network along with XI server and use NFS protocol rather then FTP protocol in communication channels.

Make sure the directories from where file will be picked and pushed is having read and write permission..</b>

Let me know your approach..?then only we can help you..

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

Do you mean to say apart from XI server we can use any system to pick and read file. What do mean by 'making system for picking and putting file?

Ranjeet S ingh.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there are two option when u are interacting with files.

1. FTP - configure a FTP server on your desktop and then access the same via your file adapter ref my blog to help you on the same - /people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/08/01/along-came-a-file-adapter-mr-ftp-and-rest-of-the-gang

2. NFS - you put the files directly on the XI Server and the file adapter polls for the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivasa,

Yes you will have to use the FTP Server.

If you do the settings as given in the blog

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/08/01/along-came-a-file-adapter-mr-ftp-and-rest-of-the-gang

it would suffice.

The directories for the file etc is all given in this blog.Have a look at it.

Yes you can also use NFS.For this you will have to access the XI server and place the file.

Message was edited by:

Manjusha Nair