cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change numbers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could any one explain me the concept of change numbers in BOMS clearly with a simple example.Also explain me what is meant by BOM header, BOM item , Material master record, Material groups clearly.

I appreciate your help in this regard.

Regards,

Vishwanath.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Viswanath,

Change Numbers are used to track changes you have made to an object like BOM, Routings etc.

There are two ways of assigning this number:

external

You choose a number.

If you want a number in numeric format, it must fall within the number range defined.

internal

The system assigns a number.

You do not make an entry here. If you save the change master, you see a message which tells you which number the system assigned.

Say There is a Material A made up of B,C,D Then A is specified in Header material, and B,C,D as BOM Items for the header materials.

Material Master is where you specify the information about material, and different views will have the data related to different departments like AccountingView, Purchasing View, Costing View, Sales View etc..

Material Group Key that you use to group together several materials or services with the same attributes, and to assign them to a particular material group.

You can use material groups to:

Restrict the scope of analyses

Search specifically for material master records via search helps.

Hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Viswanath,

Yes, Kiran has provided the required details on change number usage. In addition, I used ECM (change number) to handle substituation of BOM components during specified date range (validity of components).

If you try in CS01 and CS02, you can not enter validity of each component in terms of dates....However, SAP gave the solution using Change Number maintenance for BOM. We have a requirement that demans seasonally, a sort of packaging material valid for specific periods. Using this, we addressed it. So, BOM finally shows all the possible components with date range for each component. When you run MRP or try to use it in Subcontracting PO, it proposes only those components valid for the date of usage.....Its a good but very LOUSY feature....I never understand why SAP had to develop ECM to utilize such a simple and very common requirement of ability to handle substituations within one BOM depending on dates of usage. Of course, alternative BOMs etc are again vaugely defined and its planning part becomes real headache...lot of manual intervention is required.....

Hope, it helps!