SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Requirements

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The system's help for the various requirement categories defines a Variable Requirement in the following way:

"The requirement is variable and is dynamically broken down into other requirements based on the individual conditions."

This definition can have various meanings, at least to my mind. However, if I had to guess, based on what I have seen of the audit functionality, I would guess that a Variable Requirement performs a logical inclusive-OR of the requirement results under it - just as a Consolidation performs a logical AND of the requirement results under it. Is this correct, or am I making a wishful, but incorrect, guess?

Thank you,

Eric

4 REPLIES 4

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A Variable Requirement should basically be used when you are not sure whether the Requirement will or will not result in any sub-requirements, based upon the student. For example, you might have a Abstract Requirement called 'Minor requirements' as part of your Requirement Patttern. Some students may not have a minor declared at all. In this case no actual sub-requirements would be found (which does not constitute and error or exception for you). In this case, you should define that Abstract Requirement as a'Variable Requirement'.

Michael

P.S. If you really want to do an 'OR' of the sub-requirements, then you must use a sub-requirement condition.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After reading part of the newly released SLCM Audit Cookbook 1.0, I can see that I had a mistaken impression of Consolidations. They do not represent a logical AND of requirements, but simply act as containers.

More interestingly, it seems that Variable Requirements do not do anything special when they have no subrequirements assigned. (This is certainly my experience from testing in SLCM 4.72.) Instead, they must be marked with a "storage prevention" setting. My question, then, is there any substantial difference between Variable Requirements and requirements of the Subrequirements category? Or, are these simply different labels for the same thing?

Also, when did the storage prevention setting first become available? SLCM 6.0 or 6.3?

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos

Eric,

Let me clarify these points for you.

1) The difference between 'Variable' and 'Sub-requirements' for an Abstract Requirement is this: If you set it as 'Sub-requirements', and it comes back empty, the profile is set to the status 'Incomplete'. If you set it as 'Variable', then it will still be 'complete', even when empty.

2) The option to not store empty variable branches is available with 6.0 (but you need to apply OSS Note 987242). However, whether or not you store them has no impact on the profile completeness or the audit results. It is just good for saving some data storage, and also to not confuse the user with an empty 'container'.

3) The Consolidation does indeed act as a logical AND of the Abstract Requirements underneath it. Meaning, if the underlying elements are not fulfilled, the Consolidation Abstract Requirement also is not filled. Tthe excpetion is in the case of a Top Overall Result, where you use a Badi to determine its status.

Michael

0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarifications, Michael.

Part of my confusion on point 3 came from the "top overall result" exception that you mention. My reading of the cookbook didn't carry the understanding that this was an exception. Also, there was this passage from page 79 (page 4 of part 2) of the cookbook: "The category ‘Consolidation’ is basically for information purpose only. However, it can be evaluated in the storage prevention function." Perhaps points 1 and 3 can be incorporated into that section of the cookbook.

Thanks,

Happy Holidays,

Eric