cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about "MDM-many different models, Part 2"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reading this article on SDN by Roman Rytov, I don't quite understand the concept of the informal MDM scenario which is called named "Data Hub".

What is the difference between Data Hub and Harmonization or Centralization exactly? Is the Data Hub scenario supposed to mean that source systems access master data directly from MDM (i.e. no local copy of the data in the source system, MDM holds the only copy of the master data)? Or does the scenario mean something else?

Thanks for any clarification,

Lars

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Reading this article on SDN by Roman Rytov, I don't

> quite understand the concept of the informal MDM

> scenario which is called named "Data Hub".

Hi Lars,

Thanks for reading the article. But before I explain the difference in the scenarios I wanted to point out that the article is not official and though I work for SAP the article reflects my own opinion and vision only.

> What is the difference between Data Hub and

> Harmonization or Centralization exactly? Is the Data

> Hub scenario supposed to mean that source systems

> access master data directly from MDM (i.e. no local

> copy of the data in the source system, MDM holds the

> only copy of the master data)? Or does the scenario

> mean something else?

I see not the difference but a kind of clarification. CDM and MDH don't specify explicitly how external systems behave after MDM gets to the picture. It just says that the data can be consolidated and then distributed back. The so called Data hub insists that data flow occurs only through MDM and the systems stop talking between themselves directly. Another important aspect is data delivery. On one hand it's out of the MDM scope but on the other hand robust data delivery mechanism and comprehensive exception handling have to address the current level of MDM functionality and hence relay on MDM as well as on XI.

In the article I mentioned that the scenarios are not formal and probably require better wording. All I aimed to share in the article was concrete scenarios being implemented today by cusotmers in real projects as complementary approaches to the marketing oriented standard scenarios.

Hope now the confusion vanished.

Best,

Roman

> Thanks for any clarification,

> Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roman,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand this is not a formal SAP document, but your own reflections on the topic.

Nevertheless I appreciated them

Thanks again,

Lars

Answers (0)