SAP for Oil, Gas, and Energy Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and navigate the evolving energy landscape. Join the conversation today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory Count

former_member680448
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

The following error is being encountered during the transaction "MI04" , the count entry for Physical inventory. Kindly let me the reason and solution for the same.

Test or material temperature and unit for test density are not specified

Message no. O3316

Diagnosis

The test or material temperature and unit of measure are both not specified. The Quantity Conversion Interface (QCI) will pass a temperature value of 0 to the external functions (API c-code, customer function). Without a unit of measure, this may lead to an incorrect result.

System Response

This message can be customized to appear as an error, warning or information message (Transaction O591). SAP recommends that this message is set as an error message, but you might want to pass an unspecified test temperature value to your own routines.

thanks & regards

Chaitanya Rayaprolu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr Rayaprolu,

In the physical inventory document, for each line item containing an IS Oil material, the corresponding QCI paremeters would, either be selected from the batch or storage location, as the case may be. The quantities in alternate units of measure would be calculated based on these. They may also be entered or modified during document creation.

Could you kindly verify the elements of data for the document that is being posted?

Trust the information is useful.

Regards,

K Gopidas.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

The material you are trying to enter count for seems to be an IS-Oil material with a UOM group & a conversion group attached in the Oil specific data.

While entering inventory count for these materials, system would check that the defaults are maintained for the material in the plant. These can be maintained via transaction O3defaults.

Make sure that the date & time entered in this transaction is before the date for which you want to post the physical inventory count.

Once you do this, you should be able to post the document without any issues.

Best Regards

Vishnu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr Rayaprolu,

In the physical inventory document, for each line item containing an IS Oil material, the corresponding QCI paremeters would, either be selected from the batch or storage location, as the case may be. The quantities in alternate units of measure would be calculated based on these. They may also be entered or modified during document creation.

Could you kindly verify the elements of data for the document that is being posted?

Trust the information is useful.

Regards,

K Gopidas.

0 Kudos

Hi

I am having doubt regarding Inventory Count for IS OIL Material, thats why I am posting in the same question.

My question is for Breathing Losses or Filling Losses, how we are going to adjust the Physical vs Book Inventory? Is there any way other than using the Physical Inventory Process?

Thanks for the help,

PKM

0 Kudos

Dear Mr Prakash,

I am not very certain on the commonly accepted industry practices on the matter, but nevertheless, I would like to offer the following proposals on the points raised.

1. Filling losses:- These would be losses due to the operations, especially vehicle (wagon or tank truck or marine going vessel) loading, including evaporation, spillage, pipe-line quantity flushing etc.

By convention, these could be attributed seperately, especially, if there is a method to estimate (preferably accurately) the volumes (or quantities) involved. In business practice, it is conventional to assign the activity to a designated person or team and track performance including incidents of losses beyond permitted allowances.

Kindly also consider that the case of fixed roof tanks, where there is increased vapourisation due to drawing of product, leading to an apparent loss.

2. Breathing losses - I intepret them as losses attributable to tank operation, expulsion(venting) of vapour at the time of receipt or in rare cases, tank behaviour or every still rarely faulty calibration (strapping data).

I would make the following suggestions to account for such product differences:-

These are best accounted as goods issues, trackable with different document types or movement types or reasons for movement.

With this, the physical volume would be closer to the nett book stock.

Trust I clarify.

Regards,

K Gopidas.

0 Kudos

Hi Gopidas,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Still I am having doubt regarding the Inventory Adjustment. In Conventional Processes for example we will be doing the Physical checking of the Inventory and comparing with the Book Inventory. If we found any differences (be it +Ve or - Ve side) we will be adjusting as per the Physical and posting the differences.

For OIL Products, there are many reasons for getting the quantity difference. If the quantity difference between Book Stock and Physical Stock is only due to Vapour Loss (and the company has not done any movements) how the differences are going to be posted? Is it from the Conventional or any best practices available (for example any interface etc....).

And is there any best practice available if the company doing lot of movements per day and they want to account the difference day to day basis. This will help them in Forecasting.

Thanks and Regards,

PKM

0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Prakash,

As pointed out aptly, there has been an overbearing tendency to replace (overwrite)the calculated book stock with measured or estimated physical stock, as a process of initialisation (closing stock of the day is equated to opening stock of the next day).

In case of dormant tanks, with no operation of any kind, there is a likelihood of settling or atleast layering, leading to a difference in specific gravity or density among different layers, in addition to volume expansion (or contraction) due to impact of the ambience. In case the difference can be sub-divided into losses due to temperature variation and losses due to dormancy (aspiration) losses(or perhaps aggregation of all other losses), and the losses can be attributed to the available ullage, the process of forecasting would be better served. This would depend upon the convention of the organisation and would be based on statistical data, rather than any empirical formulae.

Regarding continuous or intermittent operation, esepcially if the operations cannot be distinctly differentiated as receipt and delivery, segregation of the causes would be difficult and a fixed time of dipping (quantity estimation) would be preferred. This would be on a day to day basis.

In case the distinction is discounted due to want of consistent (also kindly consider reproducible) accuracy, the following may kindly be attempted. A physical inventory document be generated based on the book-stock. The quantity that is estimated based on the dip-to-volume conversion be used to enter as the count. This may be posted to overwrite the book-stock with the physical-stock.

The generation of the physical inventory document may be automated or run as scheduled job. The dip to volume data would come from a TAS.

The counted document could be used to generate a mail to the administrators.

Verification and posting could be done as a manual job, with limits (authorisation) on posting of difference.

Trust you found the discourse at least informative, if not useful.

Regards,

K Gopidas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think for loss/gain in IS oil functionality you have to use T Code - O4_Tiger

For this you have to activate silo management.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Maintian O3DEFALTS via T code O3defaults and then try