Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Inventory Count

The following error is being encountered during the transaction "MI04" , the count entry for Physical inventory. Kindly let me the reason and solution for the same.

Test or material temperature and unit for test density are not specified

Message no. O3316

The test or material temperature and unit of measure are both not specified. The Quantity Conversion Interface (QCI) will pass a temperature value of 0 to the external functions (API c-code, customer function). Without a unit of measure, this may lead to an incorrect result.

System Response

This message can be customized to appear as an error, warning or information message (Transaction O591). SAP recommends that this message is set as an error message, but you might want to pass an unspecified test temperature value to your own routines.

thanks & regards

Chaitanya Rayaprolu

Dear Mr Prakash,

I am not very certain on the commonly accepted industry practices on the matter, but nevertheless, I would like to offer the following proposals on the points raised.

1. Filling losses:- These would be losses due to the operations, especially vehicle (wagon or tank truck or marine going vessel) loading, including evaporation, spillage, pipe-line quantity flushing etc.

By convention, these could be attributed seperately, especially, if there is a method to estimate (preferably accurately) the volumes (or quantities) involved. In business practice, it is conventional to assign the activity to a designated person or team and track performance including incidents of losses beyond permitted allowances.

Kindly also consider that the case of fixed roof tanks, where there is increased vapourisation due to drawing of product, leading to an apparent loss.

2. Breathing losses - I intepret them as losses attributable to tank operation, expulsion(venting) of vapour at the time of receipt or in rare cases, tank behaviour or every still rarely faulty calibration (strapping data).

I would make the following suggestions to account for such product differences:-

These are best accounted as goods issues, trackable with different document types or movement types or reasons for movement.

With this, the physical volume would be closer to the nett book stock.

Trust I clarify.

K Gopidas.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question