Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On which engine runs the SAP Business Workflow

MSiegmund
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

currently i'm trying to get into the workflowtools available in netweaver. But i read on gingers blog that the SAP Business Worklfow runs in the SAP Webflow Engine, in the SAP Business Workflow FAQ the say "XI and workflow run on the Business Process Management Engine."

(see: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/home/workflowtoolsinSAPNetWeaver& and https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/home/sapBusinessWorkflow+FAQ&)

So whats the difference and which one is correct?

EDIT: The PI help mentions that "[...] Business Process Management covers the modeling, administration, and automation of both more complex cross-system (unbounded) processes and processes embedded in an SAP application within a system. SAP NetWeaver uses the same BPM runtime to execute both unbounded and embedded processes: In the context of unbounded processes, it is known as the Business Process Engine, in the context of embedded processes, it is known as the Workflow Engine."

So means that, unbounded processes are "real" integration processes and embedded processes in BPM are basically SAP Business Processes?

regards,

Matthias

Message was edited by:

Matthias Siegmund

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi matthias,

Business process engine is the runtime for integration processes that u design in XI. the ccBPM and business workflow use the same engine. that is BPE and WE are one and the same thing. the BPM that u design generates a workflow at runtime that is executed on WFE as the normal workflows are.

the only diff is in the design layer. there are some unique steps in XI that are not found in workflows. runtime is the same.

[reward if helpful]

regards,

latika.

MSiegmund
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Thx for the Answer.

Still one question left: Is my conclusion, that embedded processes in BPM are basically SAP Business Processes only with a different design, right?

How does the transformation from the BPM Model to the Business Workflow work?

regards

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi matthias,

>>Is my conclusion....

at runtime BP generates a workflow. so both BP and WF are executed on workflow engine. because the purpose of BP in XI is different as its used to define a "cross-component" process it has some unique steps also like tranformation step. this step uses mapping that u define in xi. thus the design layer has some differences.

u can see the workflow generated by using Tx SWDD.

hope it clarifies....

regards,

latika.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189558
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Matthias,

BPM uses the SAP workflow engine in runtime and it runs on the ABAP stack.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks,

Himadri