Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Implementation, Upgrade and Data Migration

Dear SAP Gurus,

I am a SAP Mm consultant and have been working on support project for past 1 year. I have never done and implementation, upgrade or data migration. I have the following questions about them:

1) Implementation: How do we do Implementation? Is there any step wise guide available or we just need to follow the guides available at Building Blocks library and follow it to implement at new place?

2) Upgrade: What are the steps of upgrading and how do we do it? For Ex. How will we upgrade the system from SAP R/3 4.7 to SAP ECC 6.0 . Is there any stepwise guide available with these steps?

3) Data Migration: How to do Data Migration in new system ? Through LSMW? And is it job of technical consultants or does Functional also play the role in it. If yes then what?

Would be thankful to you if you can answer to my questions as in support we are only working on troubleshooting the system and never get any realtime experience on these things. Lets be true never get even knowledge on this.

So it would be great if you can give me detailed answers to my questions.

Thanks & Regards

Manav Anand

Former Member
Former Member replied

Hi,

It can go for several pages to type it down here.

Shall give you some understanding about your questions:

1) Implementation: How do we do Implementation? Is there any step wise guide available or we just need to follow the guides available at Building Blocks library and follow it to implement at new place?

First, any organization of any industry, for example wants a business solution for their daily operations to be performed in any ERP system. They do not know what is the correct one to select for their business....They will call for Request for Proposals for expert consulting organization, for example. Those consulting companies, with their experience in varied products, come up with presentations to the clients. Say, IBM has SAP, ORACLE, JDE etc...multiple ERP practices to implement. Each of these practice wings of IBM can come and present to client. Meantime, they would also try to understand what the customer's business is and try to see whether any of these standard softwares come close to the requirements. For example, you go to a bank for implementing an ERP, how does it help Production Planning, Quality control modules of an ERP to them? So, such feasibility study will be done by both the consulting and client parties together. This is called customer solution strategy. Most of the consultants are not even aware of this...because, this stage is the 0th stage where mostly marketing / sales teams of consulting companies and clients' senior management or say stake holders are involved in this.....(of course, this has major draw back of not involving real masters in the relevant ERP product implementations in such discussions....commitments and confirmations go limitlessly into sky...reality will be far below the expectations to the client....this is where earlier most of the ERP implementations took a jerk....slowly every one started knowing about all these products and quality of consultantants (especially companies) and gaining more knowledge about these products...now, its no more easy for convincing a client with meaningless commitments.....

Secondly, say client has selected an ERP suitable for them...Say, SAP

Consulting company will come up with a project plan (rough cut) about completion deadlines for couple of phases as described below. briefly comes up with which modules need to be implemented (could change once blue printing is done), resources required, geographical and technical scope (client may have several companies, divisions, locations across globe....so, it needs to be clearly defined for which locations the scope of project is limited..etc..)

For doing this entire implementations, SAP has its own ASAP methodology for quite a long time and now Solution Manager ( a real great tool) available.

It explains these phases of implementation as ROADMAP...Business blue printing is done in this phase...SAP has everything to complete this phase easily by its standard templates....one needs to look at it and edit to the required level in this templated documents if using ASAP...if it is solution manager, made even more easier....wizard type of flow...

This will be the guiding document...which may be finalizing for example, need to handle two manufacturing plants in Georgia, two in Florida etc...

The client may have 3 sales units, 5 distribution warehouses in various locations, 5 different legal companies say, in USA etc....they may procure raw materials, produce in their plants, do product costing, record and report financials etc...which would require MM, SD, PP, FI/CO...during the process study, you might encounter inprocess and inbound/outbound quality inspections...that will enlighten the project stake holders that they must implement QM module as well. If this is known at the begining itself, no issue, it becomes project scope within the blue print document. If it is realized during design phase (comes next), it can be added as a scope addition....Stake holders need to discuss and finalize on papers. It is none of the business for the team member...Project management takes care of it.

this is also called as AS-IS study in earlier days of SAP implementations...Now, everything is under one umbrella, Business Blue print...

Design Phase: In this, there will be a play ground environment of SAP system is setup by basis team and given to consultants. (Sand Box type) you can tamper this sytem to your level best to learn, explore, test the possibility of addressing the requirements collected in the previous stage....You will correlate processes say, procurement of raw materials, production of finished products, Account Receivables, Sales order and subsequent processes etc....for which you would do some configurations, little bit close to real time materials, vendors, customers etc in your sand box system.....You will start interacting with business users to understand their process in more detail and show them what you are designing in Sand Box. That is how, people start coming upto speed with new system SAP.

At some point, when both the parties start realizing more or less 40 - 50%

close to achievable solutions, basis team will setup a golden master environment called development server....this is the foundation stone for the entire project.

You will redo the working configurations, forms, reports, modifications, real time (close to) master data etc in this Dev box again.....Here you will do your module specific (submodule specific ...transaction specific) ..in Unit Testing...when this is accepted, you will relese configurations, code modifications, forms, reports you developed etc to another independent environment called QA (Integration Testing) box. CTS (correction and transportation system) will be used to transport (migrate) configurations...You will release your configurations in SE10.

Testing: Here you will do Integration testing of those you developed the solution for across modules with other teams....Once passed, you will call users (super users or power users) to test the system...you will develop securities suitable to their rolls for testing...when they test and OK it, you will be ready to relese to Production Environment...

this is the responsibility of Basis, data conversions will be used and tested before integration testing in QA box.....

Mean time, people with average level of SAP knowledge but good communication skills especially to understand and teach the end users will be selected for training wing. They interact with you for documentation preparation and start training the trainers. Trainers will in turn train the endusers in their plants...

Production system readiness will be checked;

Data conversion (legacy data to be migrated to SAP)

Opening stocks (from legacy system)

Open POs, Open Sales Orders , Open Production Orders, Opening G/L balances, WIP etc will be brought into SAP.

One fine day, client goes live on SAP. Users will be setup already fro usage by endusers...you will help them supporting for say 1 month or so depending on the contract....slowly, you might get on to bench and some low billing companies will attract the client for production support contract....you will start looking for another project....this is how it goes...

I could very well post SAP implementation methodology with all its words as it is...but, then there is no difference between experienced and others...so, I tried to put it in my own style....hope this clears your concerns about not knowing how a SAP project is implemented....

2) Upgrade: What are the steps of upgrading and how do we do it? For Ex. How will we upgrade the system from SAP R/3 4.7 to SAP ECC 6.0 . Is there any stepwise guide available with these steps?

There are free CDs available in SAP.com site itself...you can buy one from there...very informative...tired, otherwise, I could type here endlessly again on this too...

3) Data Migration: How to do Data Migration in new system ? Through LSMW? And is it job of technical consultants or does Functional also play the role in it. If yes then what?

BDC, LSMW etc....LSMW is available for a limited transactions...BDC can be developed easily if LSMW is not given..

Of course, LSMW is very easy and functional consultants can create, change etc very easily for themselves...I did atleast 10 in my previous project even though I am functional...

Hope, this helps!

I am sure, you won't forget to reward!

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question