cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confused with controllers and components.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am totally confused with Component Controllers,Custom Controllers, Component Interface Controllers,Used Web Dynpro components...etc...Could any one suggest me some docs to clear this confusion.

Thankx,

Karthick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Whats Interface View?And I could not find out View Controller in a DC.Where is it?

Thankx in advance.

Karthick Eswaran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi What is component interfaces?

Thankx,

Karti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthick,

Interface View is the external representation of a View.This means if you wanna to include ur view inside other WD component it is the basically Interface View.

Each View in the window of some component has its Interface View.

If a window in Web Dynpro consists of just one view then Interface View and View are the same.

When u click on a View, you see many tabs like Properties, Layout, Context, Implementation,Plugs, Action and methods.

Layout represent the View Looks Whereas remaning are part of the View Controller.THat is all these parts controls the look of a view at runtime.

Rgds,

Vilish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vilish,

Thank you for your explanation.Now I am clear with the whole idea of Webdynpro Architecture.

Thanks for your great Help.

Regards,

Karthick Eswaran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Each Web Dynpro application contains exactly one Web Dynpro component (root component). A Web Dynpro component contains one or more windows, which are the visual representation of the Web Dynpro component. Windows consist of one or more nested views that contain the UI elements.

You establish a connection between a window of the Web Dynpro component and the application to bind the component to a Web Dynpro application. The interface view is used as the interface and there is exactly one interface view for each window.

Regards,

Vijith

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hi Karthick,

Adding my views to the above replies :

Controllers are the active parts of a Web Dynpro application. They define how the user can interact with the Web Dynpro application.They act as the functional link betwee model and view. The data that a controller can access is defined in the corresponding context.

View Controller :

Each view has exactly one view controller, which processes the actions performed by the user in the view. A view also has exactly one view context, which contains the data required for the view.

A view controller and the corresponding context exist st as long as the view is displayed in the browser.

Controllers that do not have visual interface are called Custom controller.

Component controller is a custom controller without which a component cannot exist.They are considered as the central point of control for a component.

Interface Controller is used when we want to expose some of the functions to other components.

Refer to my earlier reply for more informations on components here :

Refer the following links for more knowledge on components and component based development.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/16/6c40450311774a8bb16f73e450f634/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/49/d0ae143e94774a9423ca8c009dc76f/frameset.htm

Regards,

Vijith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthick,

I had the same problem when I first started learning Web Dynpro - couldn't get my head around all the different "controllers". However, once you start to understand what's what, it's not so confusing any more.

Controllers are the Java classes where you do your server-side processing.

There are three types of controllers:

- Custom Controllers

- View Controllers

- Component Interface Controllers

In the simplest Web Dynpro scenario, you create a component, and then create an "application" to get access to that component.

When you create a component, a Component Controller is created for you. This controller is just a Custom Controller. You can create as many Custom Controllers as you wish, if you don't want to do all your processing in the default Custom Controller (the Component Controller).

Each View you create has it's own View Controller. View Controllers are similar to Custom Controllers, but have an additional static function: wdDoModifyView(), which is called immediately before the view is generated, and allows you to optionally modify view elements. The View Controller is the only controller which has direct access to view elements.

If your component uses another component, then that used component is called the "Used Web Dynpro Component". The "master" component can only call methods and access context entities that are exposed in the used component's "Component Interface Controller". You cannot directly access a used component's Custom Controllers. If your component is NOT going to be used by another component, then you don't have to worry about the Component Interface Controller.

Hope all this helps clear your confusion a bit.

Walter

P.S. I thoroughly recommend the book "Inside Web Dynpro for Java", which can be ordered from SAP Press.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthick,

Component Controller and custom controller do not differ much. Component controller is the default controller created when u create the application and the component itself and if u create a separate controller with your own name then its called custom controller.with this controllers u can communicate between the components within the same application.

If you want to communicate between two applications then the interface controllers come into picture.

Used webdynpro components are nothing but just like used models... means if u are using any component within the component then u add it in the used webdynpro components.

this link helps u in controllers:

http://127.0.0.1:2883/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sap.devmanual.doc.user/61/57de3f68d48f15e10000000a15....

This helps u in Used webdynpro components;

http://127.0.0.1:2883/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sap.devmanual.doc.user/d7/e551cf896c3a49bb87bb4ce38c...

Regards,

Sirisha.R.S.