cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QA on Proposed Hardware Design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts:

I am taking this oppurtunity to do a QA on our proposed Hardware Design.

SAP Applications: ECC 6.00, BI7, PI7 and Sol Man 4

All these environments will be set up in Cluster and High Availability

DB: SQL 2005

Everything will be running on IA64 Architecture

Question:

We would like to propose a DRP strategy that would utilize the Testing Infrastructure in case of a DR.

We will be replicating the DB either through SAP replication or through log shipping. We haven't confirmed on a strategy here.

Essentially, we would set this up in such a way that if PRD is destroyed and we need to recover in QAS, we would essentially bring down the QAS and turn on PRD.

Would something like be advisable or not?

Please feel free to ask me more questions for clarifications..I am sure I have missed a lot of information here, but I would like to get this conversation going.

Ofcourse points would be rewarded for all answers!

Thanks!

IK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Imran,

It sounds like you are describing a 'Production Support' system rather than a QAS system. The problem you will encounter is the change in system state caused by the constant flow of changes coming in via transports. So if you incur an error caused by an import into PRD, then the change that caused the issue still exists in the QAS system (and may lead to the same failure).

You might be able to use QAS as a failover for a PRD box if you setup a system copy process (where you can use a DB restore to bring in the PRD data).

There are a few more options that others might be able to expand on. But I would not recommend using QAS as a direct failover for PRD.

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes

Denver

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Joe:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

In order to prevent our PRD"" DB from getting bad data from PRD, we were going to deploy a delay between the two SANs, so essentially PRD"" will be about 24 hours behind PRD.

The plan is to set up the system in such a way that we will have an active QAS with its own QAS DB running at non DR times. However, in case of a DR, we would bring down QAS and QAS DB, and bring up PRD"".

Regards,

IK

Answers (0)