cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gui > Ap Server Coms (keep alives and drop outs)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have an issue with network connection drop outs.

It would help me to diagnose the problem if I could find out more about how the gui communicates with the server to maintain a session.

<b>Scenario:</b>

SAP servers are held in a Data Center , remote from; our main office, satellite offices and Mobile Users.

All users connect SAP over a VPN. In the case of the offices it is a fixed LAN-LAN connection between firewalls on both sites and for mobile users it is using a VPN client program.

At <i>exactly</i> 15minutes of inactivity the GUI ends the session with the error message <i>"connection to partner broken, WSAECONNRESET: connection reset by peer."</i>.

This is definately a network (firewall) issue rather than a SAP defined time out because from within the DC LAN this time out does not occur.

<b>Question1</b>: Has anyone else ever seen an issue like this?

<b>Question2</b>: How does the gui maintain an open session with the server? Does it "Ping" every few seconds and listen for a reply? (in which case I am looking for a network setting on a 15 minute interval) or does it "ping" at longer intervals like every 15 minutes (in which case the connection could have been dropped by a firewall setting running at anything between 1 and 15 minute intervals and the GUI won't notice until the 15 minute session check)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ask the VPN administrator.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric thanks for your reply.

I am the VPN admin and I am seeking advice on the way SAP operates.

Esp. in its communication between GUI and server so I can diagnose what setting or restriction within the network is causing this time out.

Do you know the answer to either of my questions posted above?

TIA, Oliver

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ports 3200 to 3299 is used for SAPGUI

ports 3600-3699 for logon balancing

but for timeout, I cannot help you. something on the VPN is killing this connection.

I cannot help you more on that.