cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename the repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I created a repository named "Material' and load the repository with material data.

Now I want to rename the repository.

What are the steps I want to do for this.I dont want to loose the data.

Regards,

Nikhil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

you can do this in MDM Console. Mount your MDM Server, select and login to your repository. Then right-click on the repository and choose "Rename Repository" from the context menu.

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

The ability to rename a repository was removed from the Console in SP5 Patch 2 due to a variety of internal problems associated with it (mostly related to the Distribution folder). We hope to bring back this capability soon, but for now, I would either Duplicate the repository and delete the old one, or do an Archive/Unarchive operation as the previous poster suggested.

Best regards,

Cleopatra

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member278106
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

If you want just to rename a repository and you don't care about DB name, then unload and unmount the repository, open for editing your DB table "A2i_Catalogs" in "A2i_xCat_DBs" on the parent DBMS. Change Catalog_Tag to the new repository name as you want, but leave all other tags as is. Mount the repository with its new name. Done.

Best regards,

Lev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lev, this is a nice solution -- just keep in mind that, as with the other work-around solutions proposed, this one will also leave orphaned things that were associated with the repository's former name (e.g. Distributions folder, accelerator files, etc.).

Best regards,

Cleopatra

former_member278106
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cleopatra,

The Distributions folder and accelerators will be rebuilt automatically.

Best regards,

Lev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lev,

I know the directories are rebuilt automatically (after all, I'm one of the developers working on MDM!). My only point was that a true "rename" would handle the directories as well, and that's one of the reasons why we had to temporarily remove the feature -- it didn't work as it's supposed to, and we didn't want the incomplete implementation to cause confusion. My point with continuing to draw attention to these directories is that people need to know that a manual rename of a repository will not bring those directories along, and they may having information stored in them that they need. This applies to all workaround methods of renaming, including archive/unarchive, duplication, and hacking the DBMS table directly.

Best regards,

Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best solution will be Archieve and Unarchive with the New name...If we do this we can avoid issues in Distributions folder.

In MDM if you delete Repository,that means it is deleted in Console only,but the distribution folder still exists.

Thanks

Ganesh Kotti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good point, Ganesh, although I would say, if they Archive and Unarchive, they would still need to delete the old repository that they don't want anymore. Either way, the Distributions folder has to be deleted manually (the software doesn't do that for you because you may want to retain some of the information in there).

By the way, when you delete the repository, it's not deleted "in the Console only" -- it's deleted from the DBMS and from MDS as well (except for the Distributions folder).

Best regards,

Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nikhil,

Just Archive the repository and Unarchive it with new name.

You will have all the data in your new repository.

In case you need steps, pls refer to page 206 of console guide.

You can directly also rename repository, so it depends on you.

Hope this helps,

+ An