cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign version in sales order and transfer to PP module

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Users say that customer will require to produce/deliver old goods (we active revision level. The newest material version is D. But customer want version B). How to assign version in sales order and let PP user know the version customer want (MRP run and production order must use version B's BOM)?

Regards,

Rita

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My understanding : U have ECM ( Engineering change management ) if u have ECM then postpone the dates of the ECO having Rev level.

If not ECM change the validity dates of the BOM ( Keep it in Future )having the material with new version (D) and keep the old version active during SO creation.

U dont maintain versions(material version or rev.level) in SO.

so once the SO is created or confirming date and the production order picks the BOM with the old version.

hope this is clear...if clear close the thread or come with posts..

appreciate the reward..

Prakash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash,

Thanks for reply. But I do not understand your suggestion. We active ECM and revision level in ERP. When we change spec., the revision level will be upgraded (e.g. version C -> D). But some customers <b>always</b> require us produce/deliver old goods (They do not want new version goods because of some reseaons. But we keep changing spec if necessary. Other customers can accept the newest version goods.). We usually produce/deliver the newest version goods except customer assign old version goods. So my question is how to assign version in sales order and let PP user know the version (MRP run and production order use old version BOM)?

Regards,

Rita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have a query if you have implimented ECM this will serve the purpose but it also depends on how good the planning is, in ur client site ( out of SAP ) where planner will plan according to the customer requirement as to which version to be kept active for a date range.The ECO analysts(functional) or consultants will make the ECO changes for those dates.

In general for those type of customers (who needs old version) a different SO created under different document type which will create a production orders with specific order type depending on the assignment of requirement type and requirement class.

those specific production ordertypes can be inturn assigned to either different plant where your old version BOM's will be active.

You need to look into the custom settings in SAP to design the larchitecture to allign with other requirements.What i explained u is common methodology used.

Hope this is clear..

Prakash

Message was edited by:

prakash Uddagatti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash,

Thanks for reply. But I still do not unstandard your first paragraph. And our company only use change number to change BOM (SORRY!!! not ECR/ECN). After reading SAP library, I think "BOM explosion number" is a better solution. Why not the best? I still hope we can assign material version in sales order or PIR (it is hard for SD users to understand BOM explosion rule. Material version is easier.)

Regards,

Rita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rita,

ECN -- Engineering Change Number

ECO -- Engineering change order

ECM -- Engineering change management.

doesn't matter...if u have got the solution thats good...

please close the thread...

prakash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As per my knowledge, Version number in Material Master is not linked to BOM changes. Then, how do we identify the BOM for particular version of Material. I feel, there two (revision number, BOM Change) are independent.

May be, you need to maintain different alternate BOMs for each Revision with same name for identification (ex: Same Revision can be used for production version name like 'Rev B') so that when you want to create the production order for sales order, probably you need to select correct production version in order to select the BOM for required version. this looks to be work around. I would still feel, there may be still better solution.

Thanks

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JK,

My question is how to "assign version in SO" and "transfer to PP". Your suggestion can not assign version in SO. It will let MRP use wrong BOM to plan materials before users assign production version in planned order or production order. If users assign "BOM explosion number in SO or PIR", MRP will use the right BOM to plan the right materials version customer assign.