cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error after logging in to portal for some users w/ IE6 and IE7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

We just went live with EP 7.0 SP10 on solaris 10 w/ oracle 10.2.0.2.

Most of our users have IE6 to view the portal but some have IE7.

Some of these users get errors after logging into the portal. The page does not load all the way, only the top frame and tabs show up. Then, at the bottom of the browser is a small warning ICON and when you click on it, it says "page displayed with errors". The error messages say something like "object expected" and "...is null or not an object".

The funny thing is that this same user can switch to another PC, log in, and everything works as it should. so i know it is not the user, or the role assigned.

also, if we install firefox/mozilla, that always works on the affected PC. The user can login to portal via that browser w/ no problems, but IE never works.

this is effecting 20% of our users. I've logged an OSS message w/ SAP but I would be forever grateful and reward max points for a solution here.

We are playing with the JRE 1.5.x install to see if this has an effect.

And by the way, our windows OS is XP SP2.

Thanks,

NICK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Strange response from Lindey

The error messages you get "object expected" and "...is null or not an object" comes from the javascript that the portal requires to work. There are few settings related to this one can change in IE, so it is difficult to pinpoint the problem...

One thing you could try is to sniff the HTTP traffic for any HTTP errors (for example HTTP 500 or 401). If you don't have encryption on your portal, try downloading ethereal and have a look (if you do have encryption required you need to get a tool like HTTPWatch which hooks into the IE libraries).

Do you have a domain policy on the IE settings so that you know they are setup in the same way? Do they use the same proxy server?...

Cheers

Dagfinn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dagfinn,

Thank you for the response.

Yes, the traffic is encrypted. I forgot to mention that we have a web dispatcher in between that load balances the traffic to our Portal CI and app servers.

And we use a "reverse" proxy that our wan network folks setup as well.

We have implemented SSL on the dispatcher. We are doing SSL encryption to the dispatcher and then re-encrypted to the portal.

I looked at the http watch website and the "basic" edition will only give detailed traces for certain websites built in to the software. You have to buy the full version to get what you want. Or at least that is the way I am reading it.

Another interesting note, if we bypass the dispatcher, we don't see the error. We do get a "DSM" error because our Iviews expect a different URL, but we don't get the "object expected" and "...is null or not an object" errors.

Strange but bypass web disp is really not an option and is a supported sap product. Again though, this is not happening to everyone. We now have about 30% of our world-wide customers seeing this problem. It happens on the same PC no matter who logs in.

yes, we do have domain policies that vary by department. But in the example I have been speaking about, all users in our building are under the same IE policy but some have the problem and others do not. Yes, we all access the internet in the same way. We do not have a proxy server.

Crazy, I wish there was a pattern to all this. We have our windows experts going crazy trying to figure it out from their end.

I can't remember if I mentioned that loading mozilla/firefox and netscape always works on the affected PC. It is only IE that has an issue. unfortunately, we are not officially allowed to use those browsers. It was just a test to trouble-shoot further.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks again for looking at this and giving me your thoughts.

The site is actually viewable to the world if you want to take a look. I can provide the info if you send an e-mail direct to me: nicholas.alan.wells@us.army.mil

NICK

Former Member
0 Kudos

***UPDATE***

Some of our windows guys figured out a work-around for those folks using IE6:

1. Un-install JRE 1.6

2. Re-install JRE 1.6

3. upgrade from IE6 to IE7

officially, our company has not approved IE7, so this isn't an option to everyone. But interesting that this fixes the issue.

***UPDATE***

former_member189428
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi nicholas wells

ie7 is supported from sp10 onwards consider upgrading to sp10

-->>another one is -

> install the latest hotfix for webdynpro sp9

u can download patches from----->>>

SAP Support Portal -

>download---->SAP Support Packages ->Entry by Application Group> Support Packages and patches->SAP Netweaver 2004s->Entry by Component-----> EnterprisePortal>Portal Frame work7.00->#OS independent--->

patch for portal framework 7.00 sp09 click on the info link.

you can check out the patch info and you will find out that.ie7 in patch level 4.

Former Member
0 Kudos

JagadishBabu,

As I stated in my initial question posed in SDN (see above), we are using EP 7.0 SP10. So the point I was trying to make is that our company does not officially allow us to use IE7 at the moment. It does work and obviously, we are seeing it work as stated in my earlier reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I am closing this thread. In the end, our company is allowing us to load IE7 and in conjunction with uninstall/reinstall of the java running on the PC, this seems to fix the issue. So we never really found out what is causing the issue.....but it seems to be a combination of browser/IE/OS issues on the PC and not really and SAP problem.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We thought this was fixed but we were wrong, we now have users with IE7 that do not get the correct display after logging in to our Prod Portal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please, Please please, someone help us!!!

Let me give more detailed explanation of the situation:

A user tries to hit our URL: https://www.XXXXX.XXXX.mil

That request goes through a reverse proxy (not via sap, I'm not sure what software/device does this), then it hits our web dispatcher.

Our web dispatcher is version:

SAP Web Dispatcher Version 7.00.11, multithreaded, Unicode, 64 BIT Patch 128

From there, we use the HTTPS - SSL encryption/re-encryption to our EP7 SP10 portal.

In addition, we edited the /usr/sap/SID/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/apps/sap.com/com.sap.engine.docs.examples/servlet_jsp/_default/root/index.html so that it would always go to "/irj/portal" without users having to type it in. This is the change we made:

(i have to leave out the html tags b/c our security)

HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=https://www.xxxx.xxxx.xxx/irj/portal"

document.location='irj/portal'

We kept the original "index.html" but we moved it to "index.orig.html"

That being said, we still have 30% of our users that get the "error on page" when they login to the portal. We tried upgrading to IE7 and reinst/uninst java on their PC but they still do not work.

Message was edited by:

Nicholas Wells

Message was edited by:

Nicholas Wells

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

Actually, we just found a solution a few days ago. Our problem was with our "reverse proxy" that sits between the user's PC browser and the web dispatcher. Once we took that out of the mix, and had users go directly to the dispatcher (which load balances to our portal), no one has experienced the portal display issues.

So changing the IE browser version really was not any kind of solution for us.

I have no idea what kind of device the reverse proxy we have is. Another group here manages that and they are still investigating why this happened. If/when they get their side fixed, then we might try going back through them.

I hope this helps someone.

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Too bad you're not running on Solaris 10 for your web portal. This would be working just fine if that was the case.

Cordially,

Lindley