Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large shared objects

0 Kudos

Hi,

we think about using ABAP shared objects in parallel processing to avoid reading the same data from the DB for every parallel process.

Currently we have 15MB shared memory configured according to SHMM.

My Questions:

1. How do we extend the shared memory? What is the limit?

2. Does anyone have experience with large shared objects? (1-2GB)

Thanks in advance

regards

Steffen

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steffen,

Please review OSS note 1322182 that talks about extending Shared Memory that should possibly address your queries.

Naresh

former_member192616
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steffen,

the parameter is abap/shared_objects_size_MB, the limit is defined by your available memory.

I have seen sizes with 8 GB in production so far.

Regarding the big shared objects: Carefully think about who is reading and writing and when

these actions happen. With versioning you can easily have a much higher memory consumption

since update requests will create a new version while readers attached to the old version

keep the old version alive. Besides that i haven't seen much trouble with shared objects so far,

but maybe other people have other experiences.

Please share your experients with us if you use the shared objects.

Kind regards,

Hermann

former_member194613
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you should try, shared objects are used in newer systems more and more so 1-2GB is not very special.

As the shared objects are explicitly used performance problems are rare, similar to shared buffers and shared memory.

The table buffers cause more problems because of their much higher usage and the implicit use, Open SQL switches to buffer it the technical setting of the buffer is changed ... but in some cases the switch does not work.

Siegfried