cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between 11.5 and 12.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

My boss is having issues with going live with 12.0 at this time so I need to understand the differences between the two. From what I understand, the bulk of the differences are on the developer side but I really need to find all the differences so I can make a good case for going live with 12.0 instead of going live with 11.5 and then upgrading to 12.0.

Thanks for the help!

Michael Curtis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

here are some more information for you.

You should read the Installation Guide (<a href="http://service.sap.com/instguides">service.sap.com/instguides</a>).

According to this the xMII host server needs NetWeaver 7.0 SPS10 or higher. I don't know exactly the installation time. I only know the upgrade time (SP0 -> SP1) takes about 2-3 hours (backup projects / customizing, undeploy old version, deploy new version, check).

As I am just working in my first xMII project, I can only give you the benefit from the developers view as I stated before. Other people from this forum may give you some more good points to choose 12.0 rather than 11.5.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of the information to both Jeremy and Michael. I really appreciate your time in answering my questions. You have both helped a great deal.

Michael, since you are developing on 12.0 and I am a developer that will be starting my first development here shortly, if you have any insight or tips I would greatly appreciate it.

I can't see the points buttons when I log in here or I would be happy to reeward with points.

Thanks

Mike Curtis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

from a developer point of view, I would recommend 12.0. As Jeremy stated, the xMII workbench now combines all tools you need to develop xMII components, you can open more than one file at a time (Tab-view), and it is far more easy to handle.

The User administration is now cut off from xMII, you use the NetWeaver User Management Engine (UME). That makes it easy to switch on LDAP access.

The only thing thats got worse is the xMII 12.0 help, which is really weak. 11.5 help was better, so you best combine it. Now SP02 is released with lots of fixes, so 12.0 is not a "beginner" version.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael.

I am the technical writer for xMII. I see your post regarding the 12.0 help and would like specific feedback. Please explain why you think the 12.0 help is weak, why you think the 11.5 help is better, and send any suggestions for improvements for future help releases.

Please note that the SAP xMII 12.0 SP02 help on the SAP Help Portal includes a "Feedback" link in the header of the help pages. I encourage you to use that link to send us your continued feedback on the help.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you.

Audrey Sparks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Audrey,

generally I think it is a good idea to have both help docs available, because I have the impression that 12.0 help is a bit short at some places.

One example that I remember is the TAG query description. I wondered why in the tag query editor not all tags are displayed. Looking at the 12.0 help, the "Tag Query Details and Values" page is rather short and did not give hints on that. Looking at the 11.5 help gives me more information about that, only the first 128 tags are displayed.

I admit that maybe not all written out 11.5 information is needed, and I surely think that in 12.0 many pages are more structured, especially the component event and methods pages. But there are similar 12.0 pages like the one mentioned where the information described is a bit short.

So in the future I will use the feedback link (manufacturing.documentation@sap.com) to send you any suggestions or comments that came across my work.

Thank you for your comment about that!

Regards

Michael

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

To highlight some of the major differences for you:

1. Platform: 12.0 now runs on Netweaver 7.0 (2004s) WebAS, not IIS with ServletExec like version 11.5

2. SAP Guides: http://service.sap.com/instguides or more specifically http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000683969&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&;

3. Development: the Workbench combines all development tools, like Query/Display Template editors, BLS editor, Animated object editor, and a simple text editor panel into one integrated environment.

4. Enhancements: Message Services and Data Buffering for asynchronous needs.

There is also a migration tool that will 'publish' your 11.5 configuration/content into version 12.0.

Best Regards,

Jeremy