cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDK Update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are running NW04 BW and XI on a shared DEV server running on Windows 2003 32 Bit.

I updated our DEV XI JDK from j2sdk1.4.2_10 to j2sdk1.4.2_13.

When I did this I:

1 Closed down the SAP ABAP & JAVA Stack instance

2 Installed the new SDK version

3 Edited the the ABAP Instance profile parameter jstartup/vm/home to point at C:\j2sdk1.4.2_13

4 Pointed the SDM at the new JDK

5 I then started SAP ABAP & Java Instances, these now used C:\j2sdk1.4.2_13.

After this RZ10 Instance profile was still showing parameter jstartup/vm/home with the old value C:\j2sdk1.4.2_10, this is because I changed the instance profile at the OS level when SAP was down rather than through RZ10.

To bring the Instance profiles back in line I changed the parameter jstartup/vm/home in RZ10 so they matched ok, rather than importing active profile.

I am about to install the new SDK version on QA XI, is it ok to change the parameter jstartup/vm/home in RZ10 to point to the new SDK version before I shut SAP down ? so on restart the new SDK C:\j2sdk1.4.2_13 path is used ? Usually instance profiles are not active until a SAP restart, unless dynamically switchable, but as this is a Java parameter I cannot see it in RZ11 to see if its dynamic ?

OSS Note 718901 tells you to edit the instance profile for jstartup/vm/home at the OS path rather than using RZ10 ?

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ecnirp,

You can change it in RZ10 before applying the JDK update, or you can do it while offline by editing either the DEFAULT.pfl or the instance profile directly from OS using notepad or any other text editor.

The profiles sits at \usr\sap\<sid>\SYS\profiles

Regards

Juan

Please reward with points if helpful

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

I updated the profile parameter just before I shut down the instance to do the SDK update.

I prefer not to edit the profile instances at the OS as you can get corruption in the files due to editors, also, there can be an inconsistency in the DB version and OS version of the profiles, so if anyone saves the profile again you can lose whats in the OS file unless you import it before ...