cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hang on to your hats! (shared buffer in multi-WAS/multi-update process env)

Former Member
0 Kudos

At my curreent client, we have some custom code which involves a <b><i><b>dialog</b></i></b> <i><b>process</b></i> exit in XQSM and an<i><b> update</b></i> process exit in XMBC.

When developing this code, the question arose as to how to coordinate data between the dialog process exit and the update process exit.

And following the advice of Rich H and others here at SDN, we use <i><b>shared buffer</b></i> instead of usual memory. For example:

In the XSQM dialog process exit, we do this:

CONCATENATE sy-uname
            sy-datum
            context_id
       INTO v_memkey.

EXPORT gt_outtab TO SHARED BUFFER indx(st) ID v_memkey.

And in the XMBC update process exit, we do this:

CONCATENATE sy-uname
            sy-datum
            context_id
       INTO v_memkey.

IMPORT gt_outtab FROM SHARED BUFFER indx(st) ID v_memkey.

This has been working fine in our DEV and QA systems - tested over and over again for months before we moved the code to PROD.

Now in PROD, we get occasional problems.

So I spoke to an SAP Basis consultant who happens to be on-site and he told me there's a critical difference between the DEV and QA systems here and the PROD system here.

The DEV system has only one WAS running multiple update processes.

The QA system has only one WAS running multiple update processes.

But the PROD system has four WAS's each running multiple update processes.

So, he (the SAP Basis consultant) told me to ask you all whether it's possible that the <i><b>indx(st) buffer</b></i> mentioned in the above code is <i><b>not the same across the all four WAS's.</b></i>

If it's not, then we know immediately why we are having problems in PROD but not in DEV or QA.

And then the second question is: <i><b>how do we tell the system to use a shared buffer that is common to all four PROD WAS's.</b></i>

Any takers on this one? (No guesses, please!!!)

Thanks for thinkin about it.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

answered in Abap General