cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent: BW 3.5 Critical Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I am facing a critical technical issue in my BW 3.5 implementation project(Blue-print phase). My client was using R/3 4.6 from 2001 to April 2005 then upgraded to R/3 4.7 Version.

Problem is,client wants all the report(Analysis/Planning) should show data comprising from both the versions.

Example: Lets say one report is there for analysis of sales at different plant starting from year 2004 to 2006. Then report will have to fetch data for 2004 and 2005 from 4.6 version then 2006 data will be fetched from version 4.7,

One important point to mention here is R/3 4.6 systems data is idle now. So it would be a one time job at cube level to transfer data and it will be user further.

Please suggest me the best way to handle the situation, so that we can proceed in our blueprint phase. Its damn urgent for me for this implementation project.

Thanks in advance

Ritika

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mathew_muthalaly
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying ascertain the situation:

1. You are implementing BW 3.5 from scratch.

2. Your client's R/3 system was upgraded from 4.6 to 4.7 in April 2005.

If my understanding is correct, your upgraded 4.7 system should have all the business data from 4.6. If any data was archived and if that needs to be reported on in BW, that would be a different matter.

What do you mean when you say 4.6 data is idle? If you mean it is available in the 4.7 version but not used, all the relevant data for a particular object can be extracted to BW and can be reported on.

Feel free to ask more specific questions.

Mathew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

Your understanding points are very right, its from the scratch we are in to BE implementation project here. Client didnt archieve the data but left the system as it was in 4.6.

About upgradation at this client, It was not only an upgradation project when it was upgraded to 4.7 but it was upgradation and lots of configuration changes as well. For example: Earlier thy were using 3 company codes but now they are using . Similarlt earlier in 4.6 they were using 4 purchase organizations but in 4.7 they are maintaining only 1 purchase organization.

So if we are going to do modeling for 4.7 then same modeling wont work at the time of data loading by selecting two source systems one by one.

Regards

Ritika

mathew_muthalaly
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you saying that there are separate inactive 4.6 and active 4.7 systems existing now?

If that is the case, one approach would be to view the 4.6 system as a legacy system and to do a one-time upload of relevant data. Depending on the quantum of data it could even be a download to flat file and upload to BW. It would also be possible to set up a 4.6 R/3 source system and to extract the data into BW.

Another approach would be to clone the Infoproviders and to put all the 4.6 data in one set and the 4.7 data in another. Reporting could be done using Multiproviders.

Please take my inputs only as pointers and make appropriate decisons as I obviously am not completely aware of the ground scenario.

Mathew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ritika,

is this issue resolved? please let me know as i dealt with similar issue and so can exchange some ideas.

regards,

sameer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suggest that separate cubes are built to store historical data (R/3 4.6 version data) & then the current data (R/3 4.7 version data) in existing Cubes are grouped using Multiproviders on which the reporting can be done.

Historical should be designed accordingly with aggregates,cube partioning etc.., as this data is never gonna change.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Issue is not yet resolved.

Problem is, Client has configured the SD and other module's mapping at functional level quite differently for e.g. In 4.6 version they were maintaining the data in various purchase organizations but when they upgraded it to 4.7 then they maintain all data in to single purchase organization. So what I can say is when they upgraded r/3 from 4.6 to 4.7, It was not only an upgradation process but configuration changes were also done at functional level for different modules. So its sort of new implementation in R/3 as for as BW modeling is concerned.

In this scenario modeling will differ from 4.6 to 4.7 and I will have to design diferrent modeling for both the source system and that is a tedious and time consuming task.

There are lots of configuration changes has also been done in upgradatio project at MM,PP,SD,FI,CO functional level.

Ritika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Issue is not yet resolved.

Problem is, Client has configured the SD and other module's mapping at functional level quite differently for e.g. In 4.6 version they were maintaining the data in various purchase organizations but when they upgraded it to 4.7 then they maintain all data in to single purchase organization. So what I can say is when they upgraded r/3 from 4.6 to 4.7, It was not only an upgradation process but configuration changes were also done at functional level for different modules. So its sort of new implementation in R/3 as for as BW modeling is concerned.

In this scenario modeling will differ from 4.6 to 4.7 and I will have to design diferrent modeling for both the source system and that is a tedious and time consuming task.

There are lots of configuration changes has also been done in upgradatio project at MM,PP,SD,FI,CO functional level.

Ritika

Former Member
0 Kudos

i did replied to your post (similar one) in other forum. please check that.

regards,

sameer

Answers (0)