cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Installation vs Domain Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

In my Distributed System (Windows environment), I'm still considering between Local Installation & Domain Installation.

If using Local Installation I just:

- Use the same password for the <sapsid>adm & the SAPService<SAPSID> users on all hosts.

- Use the same master password on all hosts.

- Ensure that all hosts belong to the same Windows work group.

If using Domain Installation I have to ask my company's Domain Admin to:

- Create a new global group SAP_<SAPSID>_GlobalAdmin.

- Create two new SAP system users <sapsid>adm and SAPService<SAPSID>.

- Add users <sapsid>adm and SAPService<SAPSID> to the newly created group SAP_<SAPSID>_GlobalAdmin.

- I know that SSOs such as Keberos need Domain environment, and maybe something else.

- Maybe in the future I will have to ask creations/modifications in the Windows Active Directory. What I'm afraid is modifications in Active Directory make Domain Admin unhappy or sthg like that

So please let me know your current environments. Do you use Local or Domain? What are advantages & disavantages of them that you've experienced?

Thanks,

Toan Do

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suggest to use the Domain installation. Not much advantage but I think I save a few work for infrastructure growth.

P/S appreciate to award some point.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks,

One scenario is if having 3 systems in the landscape, I have to ask for creations of (2 users + 1 group) x 3 in the Active Directory.

Does someone else know any other modifications in Active Directory after the installation?

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

actually if you want to register your systems in AD, you will need also to adjust the AD schema - see also notes 861461 and 386762

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as far as I know there is not any modifications in AD, except of new user accounts/groups for domain installation. Furthermore the domain installation allow easy access and administration for common used resources like file shares etc.