Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP-BOM questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following questions in DP-BOM:

1. Using DP-BOM, I know that I can forecast for a finished good in grid one and then display the dependent demand in grid 2 using DP-PPM/PDS. If I have independent demand and show the statistical output in the Grid2 along with the dependent demand, then how do I do this?

One thought I have is to have a second data view(in the same planning book) with independent components forecast and have a macro at the planning book level that looks up these values from that data view and showup in the first data view. Then have another macro add up the dependent and independent demands? Please correct me if my thought is wrong and if there is another standard way of doing it.

2. If the finished good demand is forecasted and released to SNP. Then the SNP uses SNP PPM/PDS to explode and generate dependent requirements. Wha tis the use of using DP-BOM? I mean where do we use these dependent and independent demands? Is it for the demand planner's reference?

3. Selecting Dp-BOM relevent adds four additional characteristics 9AMATNR, 9ABOMIO, 9ABOMID AND 9APPM. I dont have system in and but just want to know what 9ABOMIO stand for?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

DP boms are used where the constraints are in the component level and can be used for multiple finished products and the planners can change the mix in demand (which is not real demand!) and try to simulate scenarios ....

used mostly in the chemical industry where there are component restraints

but to give a car example:

suppose you can make only 100 engines and there are 4 types of car that can use them each with a higher demand then you can smoothen your demand for cars based on the engine

9ABOMIO must be Product (Header) or Product (Member) which come up in the shuffler when you open a DP bom book

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish and Somnath,

Sorry for the late reply. Most of my questions are answered but still have the doubt procedure wise in the system how to actually forecast the independent demand and integrate with the dependent demand generated from DP-BOm. My question is should I use a seperate data view or selection profile for the forecast of finished products and independent components?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

wilian_segatto
Contributor
0 Kudos

Closing thread.

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Couple of things, but not sure if it is what you are looking at:

1. It is possible to release dependent demand as dependent demand into SNP. So not sure if it makes sense to have macro do some addition. You really need to straighten out in the mind on how consumption logic will work in SNP. Try to see if it will make business sense.

2. The reason why you would use DP BOM as against SNP BOM will be if your forecasting level is different from supply planning level. The former makes sense at an end-item level. This may not be true for supply planning. It may be intermediate level. Eg I would not do a supply planning for a green automatic DX car. I would however want to do Forecasting at that level. Supply planning would make sense at Automatic DX car level perhaps. Certain business situations may have both these levels common and then your statement makes sense.

3. 9ABOMIO would mean reference to whether it is input or output.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Thanks for the reply. The reply answered last two questions and may be I have to be a little more clear on my question.

The question is how to get statistical forecast for independent demand?

The DP-BOM concept says that it can have two grids with top grid for finished good and bottom grid for the dependent and independent demands. The dependent demand is populated from the statistical output of the finished product and the PPM/PDS. But the independent demand has to be forecasted as well. The question is how to do this forecasting. Do we maintain the history for each of these independent quantities and forecast? how...

Hope my question is clear.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Visu,

I shall attempt to answer your question about independent demand. To put the discussion in perspective I shall take an example. My favorite - speaker set sold by itself and music system which includes the speaker set.

Now you have history for the speaker set which is sold as is (not part of the music system) as well as for Music System.

Since you have history for both - you can run Statistical Forecast for both to get an Independent demand.

Now the independent demand for Music System will generate Dependent Demand for the Speaker Set through DP BOM.

So for the Speaker Set you have Independent Demand (from its Stat Forecast) and Dependent Demand (driven by independent demand from music system). You sum them up to get the Total Demand for Speaker Set which needs to be planned for.

Hope this helps.

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somnath,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the concept. My question is how to do it in the system. I am having 2 grids in the data view with upper grid having details on finished product and the bottom grid has details on both dependent and independent demands. When I forecast the finished product, I select a forecasting model.I may not have to select the same model for forecasting the independent demand as well. As I understand, it is only one selection profile that is used in the interactive planning screen for this whole planning(?). I can assign only one forecasting profile at a time to the same selection profile.

Finally my question is how to do forecasting for finished and independent demands in the same planning screen. These two may always have different history and forecasting models..

I am not sure if I am clear. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

what you have is a product with a partially dependent demand....

dont think you can do it in the same screen...

what you can try to do is use a different product name for the independent part of the component and do a 1:1 bom for it having the same component name

so if you have 1 product A --> 2 product B + X* product B and you are forecasting A and part of B and adding X which is independent...

then

use 1 Product A--> 2 Product B

1 Product C--> 1 Product B

then forecast A and C seperately and you will get the right figure you want.....