cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CP850_BIN2 for non unicode systems??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

This is possibly a really stupid question and I think I know the answer, but I need some one else to say yes!

We are currently running a SQL upgrade, from 2000 to 2005, for ore ECC6 platform. As part of the upgrade it is recommended that you change the DB collation from SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_BIN to SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_BIN2 which allows unicode data to be sorted properly.

My question is, if this enhancement is to correct a unicode issue, will it affect my current non-unicode system if applied. I don't want it to cause any issues if I apply it during the upgrade.

I don't think it will for various reasons, but I am not 100% can anone let me know if I am right, please!

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

I am 100% sure you will have to select BIN2 collation to perform the database upgrade or else you won't be able to use SAP. This selection should be done irrespective of unicode or non-unicode.

If you are doubtful, why not restore this database to some other system and test it out there.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Sai R.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree - I don't think it will make any difference at all, however when we do eventually go to unicode it will be one less job to do.

I will get part of our support team to test general transactions (VA01 etc) but I can see no issues.

Thanks, you have put my mind at rest!!!

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

you will have no issues with your current system when you go to BIN2 now (before you upgrade to SQL 2005). And you have to keep in mind, that you have to have BIN2 for all newer releases of SAP. So if you plan to ever upgrade your system to a newer release in some point in time, you should go to BIN2 now, as otherwiese you have to perform a homogenous systemcopy with R/3 (which is not so much fun) if you miss it now. On SQL 2005 you can't change the collation easily, so if you don't have the correct one, you only can change it when you unload the data, drop the DB, create the DB in the correct collation and reload the data.

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Clas

I feel more confident now!

Phil

Answers (0)