cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager 4.0 & SQL Server 2005

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see in the documentation the step to install SQL Server 2005 with the 850 character set. If I want to add the solution manager database to an existing instance (which uses the default char set), but give the database itself the 850 character set...will this cause an issue. I have read some posts where this causes issues for other SAP products...but have not read anything specific to solution manager. If this does cause issues, are there any workarounds, other than creating a new instance, changing the default char set for the entire instance, or finding a new db server?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear John,

unfortunately there is no other solution. To ensure, that the database can work correctly it is necessary, that the SQL Server installation as well as all databases within the instance have the same collation. For new installations the SAP installation tools automatically use BIN2 as this will ensure compatibility with unicode. To find out which collation is installed for the server instance you can use the following query:

select serverproperty('collation')

To find out the collation of a specific database you need to execute the following query:

select databasepropertyex('<db-name>', 'collation')

The fact that the database collation and the server collation must match has nothing to do with the installed SAP Product - the two collations need to be the same in any case.

Please read SAP Note #600027 to find the necessary procedure for changing the server / database collation,

hope this information helps you,

kind regards,

beate