cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viable ERP installation and ES usage without Java stack?

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys,

Our client has the ABAP stack only of ERP 2005. We would like to implement some interfaces using webservices but we are starting to face some questions:

- The web based representation of the services(documentation) is available only if we have the JAVA stack installed.

How far can I go without the JAVA stack?

Is it realistic to go without it?

Thanks in advance.

Leonardo De Araujo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sbhutani1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leonardo,

Web services can also be consumed from the ABAP stack. It is only the Web Service Navigator and Homepage that run on the Java Stack.

Regards

Sumit Bhutani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Leonardo,

adding to Sumit's comment I'd say you can well go without the Java Stack for the moment (actual releases) being. The webservice homepage is just a kind of a toy for the very newbie IMHO.

You can't publish your services to the world for anonymous browsing without the homepage. If this is a requirement you need to set it up or create a UDDI or something similar yourself.

In case you don't need anonymous browsing (&usage of services) you can simply point your prospective webservice consumers to the relevantWSDL URLs and they will be happy with it at first place (given your service design is reasonable; i.e. expressive, more or less self describing parameter names, etc...);

Since the webservice framework on the WAS ABAP is missing the capability of enumerations in XSD (as well as the possibility of annotation on a field level) you probably need to supply the prospective consumers with an accompanying documentation about valid input parameters. The webservice homepage didn't supply this either though.

my 2 cents,

anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anton,

Your mention of <i>"capability of enumerations in SD (as well as the possibility of annotation on a field level) "</i> -- I love it.

Are they <b>actually</b> planning to do that, or it is just a wishful thinking in our developer's dream-world?

Former Member
0 Kudos

don't ask me. THEY are not communicating with us.