cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need a license for users who use DI API?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If you want to add a delivery note to SBO using the SBO application you need a user with a Professional User license.

If you add a delivery note to SBO using DI API you noticed that you don't need any license. You only need the correct authorisation that you can set using the SBO application (Menu>Modules>Administration>System Initialization>Authorisations>General Authorisations).

We have a user that only needs to add a delivery note to the system. This user is an operator and is working in the warehouse.

We have an own written application (that uses DIAPI) on the warehouse computer where the operator can enter a delivery note.

We noticed that if you create a new user in SBO and give him the correct authorisations that you don't have to assign any license to this user.

For us this is a nice feature because this means we don't have to buy license for this user, we can see who created the delivery note in the system and the user management is done in SBO.

Because we can't find anything in the documentation of SBO about this behavior, we don't know if this is normal behavior or a bug.

We want to be sure that this is not a bug and allowed by SAP. We don't want to rewrite our applications at a certain moment if SAP releases a new patch that disables this feature.

My question now is: Are we allowed by SAP to have users that use DI API to insert/update data and don't have any license? Or if we need a license for these users which license do we have to buy?

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Jeffrey

0 Kudos

Dear all / Jeffrey.

Could you send me the link of the official sap page where you describe what you are saying?
Thank you so much.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Eneveux
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Jeffrey,

The short answer is that any user that accesses SAP Business One needs to have a named user license assigned to them in SAP Business One as well as the correct authorizations assigned in SAP Business One as you have found ... even through the API's.

With respect to "what license do we need" ... this depends on what functionality the user needs in Business One. That will dictate what type of license is required. You can find this information in the SAP Business One Licensing Guide that comes with SAP Business One in the Documentation folder.

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Eddy,

Thanks for the fast reply. But it is still not completely clear for me.

I have read the Licensing Guide of SBO but I still don't know what we have to do. We are an ISV and make add-ons. We are making an application where an operator in the warehouse can enter a delivery note to the system. This application is using DI API.

According to what I can read in the licensing guide we need an add-on solution license. How do we get this for our application? How much does this costs?

What does a customer has to buy from SAP if he has 2 users working with the application of SAP and 10 users that use an application that uses DI API? Is this 2 professional users licenses for x EUR and a license to use add-ons for x EUR?

Thanks in advance for the reply

Regards,

Jeffrey

Eneveux
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Jeffrey,

The Licensing Guide states the type of licensing that you need based on the functionality required. The license types listed for North America are Professional User, CRM Sales, CRM Service and Add-on User. The later license contains the least amount of access to functionally for Business One. The Licensing may differ by region so you will need to contact your Channel Manger for details on the cost. The Licensing Guide for the US states that either a Professional User license or a CRM-Sales User license is required for the user to enter Delivery transactions.

You typically purchase licenses for your customers by installation number through the SAP PartnerEdge Portal. Again, you should talk to your Channel Manager as they should be able to assist you and/or walk you through this process.

Eddy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Although this is an old post I found it pretty quickly in Google and seems as though it is still un-answered. The answer to you Jeffrey is no you do not need a license in your particular situation because you are creating your delivery note data externally to the SAP B1 application and importing that data into SAP B1 using your external application. The warehouse user is not actually going into SAP and doing any work in SAP so therefore does not need a license. This is not a bug. Of course you have already paid a license cost when you originally bought your "development license". However as you noticed if you try to create the delivery note from within SAP then you will need a user license. Hope that clears up the matter.