cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of documents in solution manager.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a simple question about managing documents in solution manager.

We are using the document management feature in solution manager 4.0. Is it true that users should always check out the document to make changes ? and then check that back in ? otherwise users could potentially loose their work ?

I am Basis administrator Managing Solution manager. I have previously worked on other document management systems, usually when a user opens a document it "checks out " for that user automatically by giving just read only access to others until the document is closed .

Please advice the best practice on this or any help/document related to this .

Many Thanks,

N

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

if someone opens the document with the pencil icon in Solution Manager, anyone else trying to open the document will receive a message that "document is locked by <Username>". So there is no need to check them out for those quick changes.

However, the pencil icon is buggy. Sometimes the window you are making changes in closes without warning and you lose all of the changes.

I recommend to people to always checkout the document to make changes (unles they are quick ones), then upload the new document. I've seen people that didn't adhere to my advice lose 3 hours of work.

regards,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for valuble advice. Now I undestand the standard practice of working on documents in Solution Manager. I will keep advising users about this.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick!

As Jason mentioned, for quick changes it may be a good way, to use the pencil icon for direct access to document to change. The duration after You will loose Your work depends on the auto-logout-parameter of system. If it is possible to provide this timeparameter with big value, lets say something like 12 hours, You would reduce the risk to loose Your work.

For any other cases the checkout is the onliest way to ensure the work with document changes.

Regard

Heiko