Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How ro restrict BEx Items like Report Designer,etc..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

I have a situation where my end users should not be able to run Report Designer,Web Analyzer,Planning Modeller and BEx Broadcaster.

Can any one suggest me how to do this.

Do we have any auth objects that control them.

I tried to look many ways i didnt find any way.

Thanks,

Ram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes Ram, you are right. we can't stop users from going into report designer or broadcaster. but by not assigning the objects listed above, you can restrict users from doing nothing.

even if users go in, they wouldn't be able to look or manipulate anything, if they don't have the above objects.

but its different with web application designer. you can restrict users from getting into this tool using S_RS_TOOLS.

I forgot to mention, S_RS_ERPT came with frontend patch SP7. so if you are less than this, even your developers wouldn't be able to use report designer.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhiram,

Please follow the link below about the new authorization objects in BI 7.0.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/f3/291542e4b4df2ce10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kiran Kandepalli

Former Member
0 Kudos

what I understood is you are asking how to restrict users from getting into individual tools on BW . until BW3.5, WAD 3.x is the only tool which was not given any authorization objects to restrict the users on functionalities in it.

so SAP came up with RSAH_TOOL_AUTHTY_CHECK function module, where customers can enable S_RS_TOOLS for restricting users to getting into it.

But from NW04s they gave out 3 objects to restrict the templates and functionalities on WAD.

not sure on what release you are, but when you have a facility to restrict the functionalities in a tool with auth. objects,why would you need a seperate way to restrict users from getting into a tool, when they can't do anything even if they get in.

If your company has a real issue, contact SAP asking for how can you enhance/modify the RSAH_TOOL_AUTHTY_CHECK to restrict the other tools. I see SAP left this FM with a thought of enhancing it. or the other way is locking down/hiding the tool links in windows using some script.

0 Kudos

Keerti,

Appreciate your response.

We are on BI 7.0 upgrading from BW 3.5.

I want end users not to use BEx broadcaster and report designer.

Can you help me to implement this.And also please help he how to populate and use S_RS_TOOLS.

Thanks,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

for working on broadcaster user should have S_RS_ADMWB with field RSADMWBOBJ = BR_SETTING, and object S_RS_BCS.

and for saving and executing the formatted report in report designer user should have access to S_RS_ERPT.

make sure your endusers do not have these. that would do your job. users can get in to broadcaster and report designer, but they can't do anything. getting into these tools cannot be prevented until what I know.

S_RS_TOOLS was made a mandatory check in NW04s. so unless a user has it he won't be able to get into Web application designer.besides that S_RS_BITM and BTMP would help to restrict at owner level.

S_RS_TOOLS takes the 'COMMAND' = WEBPUBLISH.

unless you add this object to a user, he won't be able to get into WAD.

SAP din't provided anything like this to other tools until now. may be not many customers are requesting for it.

Message was edited by:

Keerti Vemulapalli

0 Kudos

Thankyou .

To my understanding from you message is we cant let user stop going to BEx broadcaster or report designer or any other BEX tool.

But we can restrict their activities in tools with objects.

Please make this clear.

Thanks,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes Ram, you are right. we can't stop users from going into report designer or broadcaster. but by not assigning the objects listed above, you can restrict users from doing nothing.

even if users go in, they wouldn't be able to look or manipulate anything, if they don't have the above objects.

but its different with web application designer. you can restrict users from getting into this tool using S_RS_TOOLS.

I forgot to mention, S_RS_ERPT came with frontend patch SP7. so if you are less than this, even your developers wouldn't be able to use report designer.

0 Kudos

Thankyou Keerti for the help.

We r on level 15 BI 7.0.

Ram