Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling visibility of Second Level navigation tabs in portal

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a request to create second level navigation based on user authorizations. The first level nav is called Applications, the second level navs under it are called SAP and BI. I only want to show SAP for some users and BI for others, and in some cases both.

When I created workset Application and assigned SAP and BI worksets under it, no matter that what authorization I give or not give to the user, both of them show up, unless I remove the role for Application worset, then nothing shows up.

If I remove SAP and BI worksets from Application workset, no matter what I do with roles, they do not show up. I kinda guessed that this will happen but just tried something anyway.

Can someone please explain who this can be done or is it not possible?

Thanks,

Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Good to know. I just fixed the points. Once again Thanks a lot.

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I just tried to assign points to both of you, but the forum only allows one. Sorry I could not do it for both.

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

> tried to assign points to both of you, but the forum only allows one

It should allow only one tim 10 points, but twice 6 points and even more often 2 points?!

Best regards

Detlev

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Krishna it worked.

Detlev and Krishna Thank You so much for yuor help.

Message was edited by:

Alex Trosman

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

What you described works, but this would put worksets on Primary level navigation. Where I need them to be on second level under Applications tab which is the primary level. And no matter what I try to do, they both appear on second level, even though the user does not have roles to see one of them.

Thanks,

Alex

former_member304001
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

goto workset property -- entry point -- make it as no -- goto to ur role - property -- entry point -- yes

Now role will display in top level

Hope this helps u

Regards

Krishna.

former_member304001
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

and also in work set --property --Merge Priority --- give 100 for one work set and 90 for other work set

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Detlev,

I guess I am not sure what RoleFolder means then. I thought it would be a role (Applications) under which SAP and BI roles would sit. Can you please clarify what RoleFolder is and how can I create it?

Thanks,

Alex

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

A RoleFolder is a simple folder inside a role. Open a role object, within the opened object right-click on the role symbol, choose "Add folder" (or similar).

With this knowledge, re-read my hints

Hope it helps

Detlev

former_member304001
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For this u need to merge ur worksets.

create a workset for content1 and go to property editor of the workset and in MERGE ID filed give a name and save it and assign this to role 1.

create a workset for content2 and go to property editor of the workset and in MERGE ID filed give a name(give the same name which u have given in for first workset) and save it and assign this to role2.

Now assign roles to users as u like.

if u assign Role1 to user1 he can see only content 1.

if u assign both roles he can see both content1 and content2.

Regards

Krishna.

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev,

Thanks for the post. I have followed yours and the link instructions, but I still have the issue where I see both SAP and BI tabs. I have created RoleFolder Applications and assigned SAP and BI worksets to it, I also maintained Merge IDs and priorities. But even though I gave user only SAP role, he still sees both SAP and BI tabs. Any idea why?

Thanks,

Alex

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Please re-read my posting. You have TWO roles, and the SAP workset as well as the BI workset are assigned only to one role (the SAP workset to the SAP role and the BI WS to the BI role).

Hope it helps

Detlev

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

The navigation structure does not depend on authorizations but only on the roles assigned to the user (directly or through groups).

For your structure, you would create two roles, one SAP role and one BI role. Both roles start with an RoleFolder "Applications" as the role EntryPoint, where the child of this node within the SAP role is the SAP workset and the child of this node within the BI role is the BI workset. To get them merged, you will have to maintain the mergeID property on the corresponding elements; see http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/53/89503ede925441e10000000a114084/frameset.htm for details of the merging concept and properties (that is what you are looking for).

Hope it helps

Detlev