cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between a Solution Manager project, and IMG project.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are in process of installing and thereby configuring scenarios for Solman 4.

While reading about it on help.sap.com, I came across following:

<b>

"<i>The Change Tracking function of Change Request Management allows you to track everything that relates to changes within the context of a Solution Manager project, or an IMG project."</i></b>

Please help me here by clarifying difference between two.

regards, Shantanu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shantanu,

Let us assume you have captured everything w.r.to an SAP Implementation project in Solution Manager and this project has gone live. Here all details relating to an SAP Project are captured in a Solution Manager Project. Solution Manager project acts as a container to hold all the details relating to the SAP Project.

Now when this SAP Project comes in the support/maintenance phase, whenever a small change needs to be done to this SAP Solution, it will be raised as a Change Request. This change request will be captured in Solution Manager (starting from the point when the request was raised from an end user as a support message, which eventually might have evolved as a Change Request). All details about this change request, its approval workflow, task control being transferred to different roles(people), movement of the request along the transport path, everything is captured and controlled in the Solution Manager Project.

So, we are clear about Solution Manager Project now.

What is an IMG Project?

For each and every component involved in this SAP project, an IMG project will be created with the same name as the Solution Manager Project in the component systems. These IMG projects in the Satellite systems are the same as the normal Project IMGs which we use in any SAP Project to hold all details relating to an SAP Project w.r.to that component.

In the context specified by you, it has been told that any changes w.r.to a Solution Manager project or an IMG project can be tracked in CHARM. It is because any change that is requested w.r.to any component(say SRM or ECC) will result in a change in the details captured in Solution Manager project about that SAP Project, and also will result in a change in the details captured in the appropriate Project IMG (say SRM or ECC).

Hope it is clear.

Dont forget to reward points for useful answers.

best regds,

Alagammai.